Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
My 2010 iMac is having a problem.

I was working with some different Linux distros a while back and I had an issue that I resolved with not being able to delete or edit harddrive partitions.

Now, I want to install Lion and I am getting an error about how my HD cannot be used for startup, or something like that. I have looked in to the solution for this, but it seems I need to boot from a Snow Leopard disk so I can use Disk Utility from a CD.

Here is the problem now. I start up and hold the "c" key to boot from disc. The disk starts to spin and the apple logo comes up but after a minute or two the disk stops spinning and my computer just sits there until I hold down the power button to restart.

At first I thought it was my disk (a retail copy of SL) so I acquired an disk image and burnt a new copy. Still has the same problem. It will still boot just fine from any of the Linux CDs I have tried. I have tried resetting the PRAM.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Option-boot the thing and then hold down command-v when you tell it to boot from the CD. This will boot it in verbose mode. From here, you may be able to tell why it's failing to boot from the CDs.

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
When I do that, it stall after the line:

Loading System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext...................

Then it just sits there.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I found that file on my computer, but have no idea what to make of it or figure out why it is not loading properly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.