iMac stopped connecting to WiFi. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ColeUK, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ColeUK macrumors member

My iMac (Aluminum 24") Has stopped connecting to WiFi suddenly. It was fine the other morning, and I returned from a work trip a few days later and the iMac will no longer connect to my home WiFi network.

If someone could suggest some ways I can rectify this problem.

What I can tell you right now,

Router: Linksys WAG45GS ver. 1.1
    Network Type: WPA Personal

The Home WiFi network is showing up but will not connect, currently showing strength of 2 bars.

I have tried various ways to reconnect to the WiFi but to no avail, namely:

- Turning the router off and back on again.
    - Deleting the saved network setting that was currently set-up and creating a new one.
    - Via 'Network Diagnostics' it begins 'scanning' and kicks off the networks listed via the 'Airport Status' on the desktop and refreshes a few moments later, I am able to select the network where I am prompted for the password. I enter the password and receive this message instantly "This computer was unable to join the AirPort Network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password or network name, chose the wrong type of wireless security (*which it hasn't even asked me to disclose*), or you may be out of range from you base station...."

My flatmate can connect on his laptop fine, and both my laptop (Which I am typing on now, and my iPhone can connect to the same WiFi network.)

Sometimes the network will appear in 'Network Name' in the 'Network Preferences' area and disappear again, have also just received a 'No Internet Connection' sign as the status, (grey bars with black exclaimation mark.) And there was a brief message in the 'Network Preferences' that is had reassigned the IP address and changed to 'Self-Assigned' but this quickly vanished with no change to connection.

Finally, I have listed the network once again under 'Preferred Networks' but although listed does not connect.

Could it be IP related?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated, its now 3am and meant to be my birthday! :mad:

2. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Update.

It seems this problem has been affecting a lot of Mac users, after collating some info from various forums some which have worked for others, for me it has not.

What I have done now,

- Disabled Firewall
    - Deleted previous Keychain entries
    - Did the following suggestion:

Go to Mac/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
    Delete the following:
    a. Com.apple.airport.prefrences.plist
    b. NetworkInterfaces.plist
    c. Preferences.plist
    3.Shut down computer
    4.reset PRAM

Whilst doing this I powered off the router, disconnected all cables and left 5mins before reassembling.

Attempted connecting to the network from the drop down menu, and was presented with a 'Connection Timeout'

Tried via. 'Assist Me' says Password is incorrect, *erm no it isn't as all other devices - 'Windows' I might add, connect using the same password*

It seems my iMac is without an IP not sure what to do now?

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Can you setup your router to 802.11a or 802.11n only?

4. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

In case you are interested.

Scratch what i just posted here about Static IP, spoke too soon.

Any suggestions?

5. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

How set up router?

How would I go about doing that?

If I had it my way I would just reset the router and start over, but my landlord is not tech savvy and is reluctant for me to mess around with it just yet.

Please be advised. He connects his Windows Laptop to the same router, as do I my Windows Laptop, and iPhone. All which currently connect to the internet presently!

6. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yup: Can you setup your router to 802.11a or 802.11n only?

Also, have you checked Console for anything?

7. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Console

In 'Console' the last messages prior to the problem which repeat themselves thereafter say:

cole-martins-imac.local WindowServer[58] <Error>:kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

lots of: Debugger() was called!

erm....as for the connection attempts I get:

Error Joining *network name*: Connection Timeout (-3905 timeout connecting)

8. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Updating to 10.6.2 (Combo) Fixed Problem!

Wohoo!

Downloaded the recent Apple Software Update to 10.6.2 (Combo) via. my laptop and over to the mac, and it has fixed the problem, connected and assigned IP.

Thanks Matt for chipping in somewhat, although not necessary in the end.

**Better to have and not need then to need and not have and all that!** Same goes for my WiFi connection! Now i just need to reclaim some of my birthday back!

9. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Well, back again, WiFi is not working again. Is there anyone who can offer a solution?

Many Thanks.

Will be onto Apple now, 5 months in, not happy!

10. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

Several of my friends have had those routers and almost all had some sort of problem with them.
    I'll give you the same advice I gave them: Toss that piece of junk where it belongs, in the trash. I 100% guarantee you will never have a problem with it again!
    I would recommend a new router, cheap routers are exactly that, cheap.
    Invest in a good piece of hardware that will serve your needs.

11. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

I rent, and the router belongs to my live in landlord, he is kinda reluctant for me messing with the router. That said I respect your advice and will consider buying a new one.

What bothers me though is that the WiFi/Router has worked perfectly for the 5 months I have had the iMac and is only NOW causing problems. Bearing in mind that it is only the iMac that is affected. (2 Windows laptops and my iPhone still get connections).

If anything is underperforming it is the WiFI capabilities of my £1600 iMac?? (And now the added expense of buying a new router because the iMac is stubborn and not 'capable' of connecting unlike my other devices!).

12. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

The problems that I have had several times are exactly as you described. Random loss of connectivity. Not with all devices on the network but with a few and at random times.

I have narrowed it down to a problem with the DHCP lease. Even if devices have been assigned static IP's the router mishandles IP addresses and devices get dropped or reassigns the same IP address. (multiple devices with the same IP address = headaches for you and confusion for the router)

I think I know what your landlord should get for Christmas.

13. ColeUK thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Kirbdog, I will look into it,

Do you recommend any routers, brands, models?

Then I will set it up and assign static IP's as a further safeguard? (4 in total.)