iMac strange noises, please help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lifeguard90, May 10, 2013.

1. lifeguard90, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I received my refurbished Apple bought 27" late 2012 iMac, i73.4ghz 8G ram, 2GB, graphics. 1 tb fusion.

1- how do you attach an audio sample here

2- so like i said, got the imac today, and there has been weird beeping morse code like sounds coming from inside the drive or mechanics. Onyx and disk permissions state that the drive is OK and in the green. I have not heard the noises since many hours ago. most of the noise beeps were during data time machine transfers. Still, very odd. i have a genius appointment for tomorrow; hassle since i just got this machine.

3- How silent are imacs supposed to be? My fans were blasting at 1450 earlier, no idea why. managed to get it down to 1200ish. But i can still hear it. Im guessing unless you have the $$$ 768GB flash storage, there will be noise. Question is what is the idle fan rpm, normal rpm and how to manage the speed ( * i have tried various software smc, hdd fan control etc, 1200ish rpm now but it is audible. is this normal or bad?

4*- extra, i am backing up my data now Time Machine, i have the firewire 800 to thunderbolt adapter. The backup time eta is very very long, while it only took 2.5 hrs or so firewire 800 to firewire 800 on my old model the other night. I have a usb 3 cable arriving next week, no stores have one in stock I read usb 3 will be faster/ but why would t bolt to firewire 800 take mega long?
    Thanks for the help

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You have 90 days of free AppleCare telephone support, why are you posting on a rumors forum instead of calling Apple?

3. lifeguard90 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1- your answer did not help any. there was no need to reply

2- Yes , I know I have phone support but they were not helpful. Figured ask here before I lugged it to the store..

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

while Onyx and other utilities report hardware fine, it could very well be related to the hard drive.
    can you post what model drive it is? I've had instances where drives would chirp, beep, click, etc so if your machine is booting to the OS doesnt appear to be RAM related.

and if the transfer of the data was slow to your expectations, that could also hint at the harddrive having problems.