iMac (strawberry) question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by danaaaaleigh, Feb 20, 2008.

1. danaaaaleigh macrumors newbie

I plan on purchasing an old strawberry iMac. I have a few stupid questions, I don't have much experience in taking apart computers and if I purchase this I want to be able to beef it up a little bit.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is it possible to put a bigger hard drive into this computer? If so, what kind?

2.) Is there any possible way to run leopard on this? It sounds ridiculous but if there's something I can do to this computer to make it run leopard that would be amazing.

3.) Would a new external hard drive be compatible with this computer?

Thanks.

2. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

Congratulations. IIRC the Strawberry iMac was 350MHz. I could be wrong on that. Anyway:
    1. Again, IIRC these should take the PATA (IDE) hard drives. There could be a limit to the size of the drive it will accept.
    2. There may be a way to run Leopard, but on this machine it would not be advisable due to speed concerns.
    3. Not sure about the external hard drive. If it has Firewire, then I wouldn't see why not.

Edit: Found a website that may be of assistance.
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_333.html

3. danaaaaleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

4. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

1. The limit is 128 GB, so your best off getting 120GB.
    2. No way, the final release wasn't even complied for G3s, so theres pretty much no way.
    3. Yes, but go with Firewire because it's USB ports are 1.1 slow.

Enjoy it

5. danaaaaleigh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot, very helpful!

6. nickf macrumors member

If you wanted to install OS X on your iMac I'd go for 10.2 or 10.3.
    The experience wouldn't be pretty (especially given the pokey graphics chip), and you'd want a minimum of 384 Mb RAM (512, preferably).

Mac OS 9, on the other hand, would scream on there :)

7. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I believe thes modelse don't have Firewire so an external HD is only possible via USB. This should work but will be slow. Also you will not be able to use the external disk as a startop disk.
    Leopard does not support G3 right out of box so you'll have to tweak it and it will be slow. I use tiger on my iMac G3 with 700 Mhs speed an this works for the usual things : internet browsing, iTunes, Filemaker Pro in classic mode. Be sure to heve enough ram installed. 256 Mb is the minimun required. 128 Mb worked for me if I kept filemaker in the foreground and did no other tasks. I got a fair speed bump when I put in an extra 512 Mb.
    Find a cheap hard disk 80 gig or so will do. I believe the maximum supported is 128 gig. Anything over 128 Gb wil not be seen by the system.

8. mirelli macrumors newbie

Strawberry imac

I'm selling our Strawberry iMac. It's running OX 9.2, and I have no idea how to make it usable for my daughter's homework. If you haven't already purchased one, let me know.