iMac streaming to bluray player

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rickowens, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rickowens macrumors newbie

I currently have a collection of videos in avi and mkv format saved on an external drive that is attached to my iMac. I would like to watch these videos on my regular TV which is a larger screen, and is located in a different room. I just bought a bluray player, it's dlna compliance, has wifi built in, and usb for external drive. What is the best way to utilize to set this up to fit my need.
    - Is dlna even applicable when comes to iMac. if so, what is the best solution to take advantage of this feature in order for me to utilize streaming from iMac to the bluray player. It seems after reading a bit, that dlna is mostly designed to work with Windows, but wondering if there are any work arounds for mac users. Are there 3rd party softwares i need to install on my imac, or are there settings on the iMac itself i need to fiddle with to make it work. Any suggestions.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Connecting the external to the BR player should work, as long as the format of the HD is supported.

3. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Twonky Media Server Software maybe the answer for streaming from your Mac. You can try it free for a 30 day trial.
    Bear in mind that streaming HD material via your wireless network may result in stop-start / stuttering like playback, depends on the bit rate of the MKV / AVI rip and how good your wireless network is. An alternative, if you suffer this and your router is too far away from your Blu-ray player to run some CAT 5 / Ethernet cable, is to use some Home Plugs, make sure you get 200Mbps, or above.