iMac stuck after software update / restart

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joe5, Jun 7, 2009.

1. joe5 macrumors newbie

I recently installed the iTunes update plus 3 others that were in the list (don't remember what they were). After they installed, it said that a restart was necessary. I let it restart and when it came back the "beach ball" was spinning. The hockey game was about to start so I went off to watch the first period. When I returned the beach ball was still spinning. Thinking that there was no way it could take that long, I went ahead and shut down the iMac. I waited about 30 seconds and then turned it back on. It started normally and did not seem to have any problems.
    Is there something else I should have done? How long should it take the iMac to restart after a software update?
    The only other time the software updated was when I first got it. It had about 10 updates including the Leopard update. Every thing went fine that time.
    I have the 3.06, ATI, 4 gig, 1 TB iMac.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I hope you have a backup. If you don't, reinstalling Leopard will work 100%, unless it's a hardware error

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I just installed all those updates on my new '09 Mini and came back after an hour to a blue screen with the circle of dashes spinning.

I held down power button and restarted after hard reset.

Everything appears ok now.

Cheers,

4. joe5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this something that occasionally happens or should I have called Applecare? This seemed like a minor update compared to the one when I first received my iMac.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This happened on my first update after setting up my Mini and again with this update. I manually downloaded 10.5.7 and installed it manually so I did not see a problem with that update.

Did a hard reset resolve your issue as well?

Cheers,

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My MBP had trouble with the latest updates when the update tool stopped responding and I wasn't able to launch any applications whatsoever after that. I tried restarting my computer, but nothing would happen. A hard reset fixed the problem though. Hard resets work wonders.

7. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

As a precaution I always download the combo update, reboot my Mac into single user mode, run the update and then restart. I have never had an issue when applying an OS X update in this manner. :)

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I had this problem 3 years ago with my first iBook. I just re-installed osx. Nowdays I use Superduper and have a bootable backup in case this happens. It's always good to have a backup.

9. joe5 thread starter macrumors newbie

If a hard reset is holding in the power button until the Mac shuts off, then waiting about 30 seconds and turning back on, Yes.
    I have not had any issues since then.

10. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Can't say that these two things are related, but I was having same issues with updates. Using disk utility I verified the disk - but it came up with errors. Repair disk fixed them. Since then two software updates have gone okay. But, again, they may have anyhow,

11. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I had the same problem even after rebooting twice; to solve it, the third time I brought up the update list and unchecked all but 1 update and installed them one at a time .... this worked like a charm. :D