iMac Stuck at Apple Screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ir24, May 2, 2011.

1. ir24 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. My iMac is currently stuck at the apple boot up screen. It all happened after my iMac was lagging while running AE CS5, so I forcefully shut it down by holding the power button at the back. It is currently stuck at the apple logo. It is less than 3 months old and is the mid 2010 model. Any advice will be appreciated. Cheers.

2. strelok1911 macrumors member

Hold V while booting for Verbose Boot and see where it's getting stuck.

3. ir24 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, i will try it. btw im using the bluetooth keyboard. will I be able to still do that?

4. ir24 thread starter macrumors newbie

nothing happened, it just continued to show the turning ring.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Can you boot from your Snow Leopard DVD? If you've not tried, insert the DVD, turn the computer on, and hold option (alt) as soon as you see the screen turn white (you've missed it if it shows the Apple logo) to choose to boot from the DVD.

If this works, you can "Verify Disk" in Disk Utility and see if it reports any problems.

6. ndraves macrumors member

Holding down the 'c' key also does this but straight to DVD/CD drive.

This is the best option as once loaded from the DVD then that can check the normal boot volume. There are all the usual utilities here for you to test this.

7. ir24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, thank you for all the replies. I have indeed booted it to the OSX DVD and have verified the disk. It found that the disk was corrupted and needed to be repaired. The repair failed and it asked me to backup all data possible and then restore. What are my options now? Thank you!

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah interesting to know, thank you :)

9. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Mmm, I see. Do you remember what it said the problem was (why it was corrupted)?

The question is, how do you get your data off the drive? Perhaps you could install Mac OS X to a partition on an external hard drive that you own and boot up from that and see if you're able to drag any files across.

I'm not sure the right course of action, and trying to access it in anyway (doing what I said above) could ultimately cause it to be permanently screwed, if it isn't already. Hopefully another user will be able to chime in with what to do, I'm guessing professional data recovery services may be necessary if you have data on it you absolutely need.