iMac stuck on grey logo startup screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Steven.nevets, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Steven.nevets macrumors regular

so the story is, i left my intel iMac asleep for about 24 hours, came back to it, and when i tried to wake it up, it wouldn't. so i did a hard shut down, and tried turning it on. it will go to the apple logo, but i never see the spinning wheel, and most of the sounds in the comp just stop. it's running 10.4.(whatever the latest update is).

i was able to boot it into target disc mode, and save all my files. i also ran disc utility on it, and there was a minor failure with a different number of free blocks reported, but fixing that didn't help.

i have tried safe mode (holding shift) but that didn't help.

i can boot into single user or verbose mode, but i'm unable to type. it stops with the line "USB caused wake event (EHCI)". is that normal? i have tried two different wired apple keyboards, neither one works.

i have no idea what's going on, please help me...

2. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Un-plug all cables, including the power cable, hold start-up button for 20 seconds, then plug in all cables and start computer.

3. Steven.nevets thread starter macrumors regular

no effect, still doesn't startup.

also, another weird thing is that it seems like the keyboard and mouse, so usb devices aren't getting power once it freezes. because it works long enough to enter the different startup modes, but then stops. the light doesnt go on in the mighty mouse, and the caps lock light won't turn on when i press it. seems weird...

4. jayp macrumors newbie

iMac stuck on apple logo screen

I have exactly the same problem as yours. Any solutions yet? Please reply. Thanks.