iMac stuck on the apple Logo.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Den-V, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Den-V macrumors newbie

Hey there, i need some help regarding my iMac. I was busy installing combo update 10.5.8 on my iMac when the power in the entire house went down due to the snow. When I started my iMac back up it got stuck on the apple logo with the spinning wheel below it. I can leave it there for as long as i like nothing happens. I had the idea to reboot using the CD's i got with the iMac but there is already a disc in the discloader so i can't put the reboot CD's in.
    Does anybody know how i can get my iMac to work again? There aren't any files on the computer that i neccesarely need but if i would be able to save my photo's etc. it would be great.

Thanks for anyone who tries to help :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can eject the disk by holding down the mouse at boot. Then reinstall Leopard using the Archive and Install option. It should keep your data intact.

3. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

So when the computer is completely shut of, i start it up whilst holding down the mouse button?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it should spit out the cd. You could also hold down Option instead then press the eject button at the selection screen, put in the reinstallation dvd, then choose it to boot from.

5. Mic360 macrumors newbie

Have you fixed the problem? If your still stuck at the apple logo and you have usb devices plugged in, remove them and try to start up.

6. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the problem isn't fixed yet. ill try unplugging all usb's but i use a mouse that is not apple's that is connected, will this have any effect?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Having USB things attached is not the cause of your problem. Having a non-Apple mouse will not make a difference.

8. Mic360 macrumors newbie

I was using a logitech usb mouse and was having the same problem.
    i called apple care and they told me to remove the mouse and that there is sometimes a issue. Took it Out and it booted right up. I still use the logitech mouse sometimes and havent had the issue again.

9. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't help but still thanks for suggesting ;) i was mid download so i'm going to leave the computer running for the night and se what tomorow brings me. Anyone that thinks he knows an solution stil post it please, any help is welcome :)

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try starting it up while holding Command-V. You'll see a bunch of white scrolling text on a black background. It'll stop scrolling and freeze at some point. What is the last few lines displayed before it stopped scrolling?

11. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

Started up while holding cmd-v this is what it keeps repeating:
    Dec 28 00:00:10 Dennis-imac ReportCrash[79]: Saved Crashreport to /Library/Logs/crashreporter/loginwindow_2010-12-28000010_Dennis-imac.crash using uid: 0 gid:0 euid:0 egid:0

It repeats this sentence continously and the only thing that changes is the time at the beginning. it changes from 00:00:10 to 00:0020 to 00:00:30 and so on
    Does this help you anything?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It means that the loginwindow program is broken. The only way to fix this is to reinstall from the dvd.

13. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, but the problem is that there is a disc already in the loader. and the eject button doesn't work so ill try the trick with the mouse button again but do you have any other tips to eject?

14. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

the disc is out, ill reboot using the cd's that came with my iMac, thank you very much for your help!

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Did you hold down Option during boot and end up at a gray screen with a hard drive icon on it? At that screen press the eject button.

16. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

In order to use the DVD should i put it in while the screen is at the apple logo with the spinning wheel?

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, put the dvd in then restart the iMac. Then right after you hear the startup noise, press and hole C until you hear the dvd drive spin up.

18. Den-V thread starter macrumors newbie

When i do this i hear the sound of the dvd but after a few seconds this stops, should i just let it run now?

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do it again, but this time hold down C after the chime and until you see the Apple logo. It should boot from the dvd.