iMac SuperDrive and Printable Disks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grayfox, May 22, 2008.

1. Grayfox macrumors member

Hey

My brother's laptops dvd drive died a couple of days ago, it was an HP laptop, He said it was because he used only those white printable dvds in the laptop and thats what did it, and he said i shouldn't use them in my mac incase the same thing happens to me, Now i was wondering, Will this happen? Was it the white disks that caused the problem in the first place or was it some other factor and are those white disks known to cause dvd drives to die?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Any number of things can cause a DVD drive to die, but I highly doubt using a certain brand of disc would cause that. Far more common causes are:
    • Bumping or moving the drive while it is in use
    • Putting discs in upside-down (most drives will immediately eject such discs, but the few that don't WILL break)
    • Flipping the drive upside-down and expecting it to work normally
    • For laptops with removable drive modules, removing the module while it's in use

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

From what I have heard you use those printable discs to avoid labels. Those labels you print on then adhere to the discs can cause problems. Just because if you do not center then they can cause a weight imbalance making the disc not about. Sort of like if you load up one side of a top loading washing machine with jeans and it starts knocking around in the spin cycle.