iMac Supplies Becoming Constrained Ahead of Potential Refresh

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 19, 2011.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 to 5 Mac reports that multiple sources, presumably resellers, have noted that supplies of the current-generation iMacs are showing as "constrained", limiting restocking orders. The development is a common one as Apple draws down supplies ahead of the introduction of new models.
    As noted in our Buyer's Guide, the iMac is due for an update given that it has been nearly nine months since the last refresh of the line took place in late July.

Last month, CNET's Brian Tong claimed to have received information from a source indicating that updated iMacs should debut by the end of April or the first week in May, a window of time that is just now set to open.

Article Link: iMac Supplies Becoming Constrained Ahead of Potential Refresh

2. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

One step closer to a MBA refresh.

3. Dale Campbell macrumors member

Octo-core please + 16GB ram for £999 : ) *joke*... or is it?

4. TMay macrumors 68000

yeah!

Please...Please...Please...provide a pro graphics card option (FirePro or Quadro)

5. mwayne85 macrumors regular

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

My 24" iMac is still going strong... they'll something pretty major to get me to consider getting a new one.

7. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

Fairly predictable, still good to hear though. Heres hoping for an i7-2600!

8. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I heard a rumor that these will not have a retina display or BluRay. No, seriously. They won't. My source is never wrong.

9. Kflik macrumors member

10. mwayne85 macrumors regular

Not expecting a huge update here other than Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, and 6XXX series AMD graphics.

11. zedsdead macrumors 68040

The iMac update is likely to be a spec bump, Sandy Bridge, better Graphics, etc...plus Thunderbolt. I plan to hang on to my current model for now.

I am more excited about a potential Mac Mini Update, because I need one of those.

12. mrfoof82 macrumors 6502a

We won't see octo-core until Ivy Bridge. IIRC, for desktop processors, Ivy Bridge will be the first CPU where quad-cores are the bottom rung. And the iMac has been using desktop CPUs for a while (though still SO-DIMMs and mobile GPUs).

That's what I'm waiting for. Not so much the hyperthreaded octo-cores, but for SSD$/GB to continue their downward trend. 27", 8-core, top-tier GPU, 16GB of memory to start, with the 512GB SSD / largest 3.5" HDD they offer. Then hooking up my 27" LED Cinema Display to that for 5120x1440 goodness.

13. bdkennedy1 Suspended

FINALLY! I've been holding off for over a year upgrading my 2007 iMac because of the ancient ports. Give me my Thunderbolt!

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I think I'm well overdue an update to my old iMac. It'll be good to see another refresh.

15. homsar, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

homsar macrumors member

A relatively predictable spec bump? Performance bumped to exceed the new MBPs (edit: i.e. Sandy Bridge), Thunderbolt replaces the Mini DisplayPort (could conceivably have two, but I doubt it), FaceTime HD. A RAM upgrade seems unlikely but possible. SSD option may or may not move to the MBA one, probably will (to consolidate stock). A new form factor seems unlikely given current precedent; new screen sizes also seem unlikely due to lack of rumours. They could conceivably bring back the 24" (common panel size would mean fewer rumours), but I doubt they will. Thinner profile (especially on the 27") is also conceivable. Maybe they'll make the Magic Trackpad standard? Free upgrade to Lion when it releases?

Edit: As others have mentioned, a bumped GPU is obviously also on the cards.

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I've been waiting for a refresh to replace my rev. A Aluminum 24" iMac 2.8Ghz (Aug 2007) with a new 27". Going to sell my Aluminum 13.3" MacBook and iMac and get a new one.

But I will probably wait the extra few months for Lion. No point in upgrading just prior to what I expect to be a relatively major OS release. I doubt 10.7 will be the $29 upgrade Snow Leopard was.

17. bellman macrumors member

This is exactly the kind of rumors i've been waiting for:D:D:D

18. regandarcy macrumors member

I can't wait! My G5 iMac has officially died and gone to that big computer desk in the sky. It served me well for 5 years, but it's over. Darn thang won't even turn on anymore. I hear the apple start up chime, but the screen stays black and then the iMac just shuts off. But even if I could fix it, it's so old it can't run the latest OSX or even play HD movies. Yup...it's time to buy a new iMac.

I'm hoping that the next update sees i7s across the line...even the 21.5" models. I expect thunderbolt too since the MacBook pros got it. Other things on my wish list would be for them to include that rumored flash start up drive as standard....but I'm not holding my breath. It would be great if the 21.5" model got the same ability as the 27" to be used as an external monitor. That way in 5 years or more when it becomes unable to run the latest software, you can still use it as a second monitor. :)

I like the 27" features, it's just a tad too big. Actually the rumor about Apple adding a 24" size back to the iMac lineup would be PERFECT. But again...not gonna count on it.

19. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Does this mean a Mini update is right behind it?

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Apple should do a nice desktop refresh...at least for the consumer/prosumer grade machine, I don't follow the CPU that a Mac Pro upgrade would depend on(although I'd imagine if the lower powered chips are out, higher powered chips would also be out, but one can never be 100% sure)

But iMac and Mac mini bumps would be quite do able!

21. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

same here (mac mini wise)

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Doubt it. Not unless you are talking about the 14 day or announcement window. Probably along the lines of all machines purchased after WWDC Lion announcement and prior to release have option to get upgrade disc for $9.99 shipping. Unless at WWDC they say that Lion will be out in October.

23. dmelgar macrumors 68000

13" maybe, but the 11" doesn't look to be refreshed for a while. AFAIK Intel has as yet not announced a new CPU that is as low power as the Core2Duo in the 11" MBA.

24. toddybody Guest

toddybody

6950 6950 6950 6950 6950 6950 6950 6950 6950!

For heavens sake give it a nice GPU!!!!!!!!:eek:

25. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

**Bump**

One can't never have enough iMac rumours! What a breath of fresh air.

Please, please, please let the refreshed iMac drop the May 3rd (I *highly* doubt any new iMac's will be released next week).