iMac Supplies Dwindling at Retail Stores?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In the weeks heading into Macworld, both Apple Stores and Apple Retailers are reportedly running low on stock of Apple's iMac. In contrast, Apple's online store still shows shipping "within 24-hours".

The significance of the low iMac stock is unclear, but could simply be due to recovering inventories after the holiday rush. Of all the Mac models, the iMac seems least likely to undergo a revision at the upcoming Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

The iMac was last updated in August of 2007 with a new aluminum design.

Article Link

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
yeah

our best buy in london ontario as off this afternoon

has 28 iMacs 20'' 2.0ghz (14 on order)
12 iMacs 20'' 2.4ghz (6 on order)
7 iMacs 24'' 2.4ghz (11 on order)

source: i work there

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I bought my iMac with iSight when it was announced months before 2006 Macworld. Then "boom" out comes the imac with Intel chips! :(

I have a feeling this coming Macworld will not focus on updating the iMacs. But who knows maybe a speed bump?

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I bought my iMac with iSight when it was announced months before 2006 Macworld. Then "boom" out comes the imac with Intel chips! :(
Cheer up - the latest G5 iMacs are great machines and not any worse than the next generation's. What are the advantages of having an Intel Mac if you are not running Windows on it - maybe freeing up a minute a day in a real world use? In normal tasks, like internet browsing, typing and such, G5 Macs are as fast as the Intel ones. In benchmarks, yes, G5s are slower, but the difference is not noticeable in real life in most cases, unless you are running benchmark tests 24/7 :)

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Never ran low on imacs at our shop and had about 30ish imacs in stock and over the past 3 days received close to 100 more imacs with 20 or so more on order. This is at our shop in Oxford Valley Best Buy. Also to note all of them have the new boxing with Leopard shown on the outside of the box and all pre loaded Leopard.

Kevin :apple:

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Mac Expo 2008

Never ran low on imacs at our shop and had about 30ish imacs in stock and over the past 3 days received close to 100 more imacs with 20 or so more on order. This is at our shop in Oxford Valley Best Buy. Also to note all of them have the new boxing with Leopard shown on the outside of the box and all pre loaded Leopard.

Kevin :apple:
A pretty reliable sign that an iMac revision will not be surfacing next week. Perhaps, by MacWorld, we'll see the new 'Multi-touch Screen' iMac emerge sporting a new multi-touch trackpad, mouse, or combination trackpad mouse.

bobcb

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
Cheer up - the latest G5 iMacs are great machines and not any worse than the next generation's. What are the advantages of having an Intel Mac if you are not running Windows on it - maybe freeing up a minute a day in a real world use? In normal tasks, like internet browsing, typing and such, G5 Macs are as fast as the Intel ones. In benchmarks, yes, G5s are slower, but the difference is not noticeable in real life in most cases, unless you are running benchmark tests 24/7 :)
Keep telling yourself that... ;)

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Hahaha...I was only upset the moment the intel imacs were announced. I haven't had a single problem with it even far after 2 years. The performance is still good for my use (photoshop, iLife, surfing etc.) but would like the horsepower for video encoding.

The Intel transition at the time wouldn't have been any faster. But with today's specs, I think it's an ok upgrade. I'm thinking more of a Mac Pro.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I pray Apple does NOTHING to the iMac. Mac pro, MacBook Pro and Cinema Displays all need some attention at the minute. Talk about them, plus 10.5.2, iPhone 1.1.3, SDK and iTunes 8 please Steve.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I was surprised to read this - that it may to do with a refresh - since its way too early for the iMac. Apple could do better refreshing the Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and XServes.

( Oh, and getting Java 6 out the door which is now months late )

mattvolp

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
"Update: We've heard that this was simple due to the holiday rush and that stores are restocking."

I believe you meant simply.

:D

KingScooty

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester, England
Surely if they update the macbook pros, Apple will also want to bump the speed of the imacs up? Or at least add extra options for upgrade? Otherwise the macbook pros are going to be more powerful than the imacs, sounds a bit absurd :/

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
Surely if they update the macbook pros, Apple will also want to bump the speed of the imacs up? Or at least add extra options for upgrade? Otherwise the macbook pros are going to be more powerful than the imacs, sounds a bit absurd :/
Thats the one reason i'm waiting for the macbook pro news from macworld. Considering the vid card they have now and the speed of the chipset. If they upgrade the vid card to the 8800m and bump mhz on the cpu, the notebook will be more powerful than the IMAC. I put off buying an IMAC based on the assumption that the macbook pro will be more powerful as a notebook lol.

I think its a bit insane, however, it could be possible that IMAC components may get tweaked sooner than a makeover. Their current design is sweet, all they would have to do is upgrade components every few months like PC's do when new and better components come out. One area Apple always seems to lag far behind.

I really want to get my first mac but they are just short in giving me what i want under the hood. Soooo Close they are :)

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
I was surprised to read this - that it may to do with a refresh - since its way too early for the iMac. Apple could do better refreshing the Mac Mini, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and XServes.

( Oh, and getting Java 6 out the door which is now months late )
it's not way too early for iMac updates... it's been almost six months since it's been updated... also, the Mac Mini was last updated the same day as the last iMac mac update.

even though it's not the popular opinion, i'm full expecting new iMacs at MacWorld (or at least a speed bump).

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
iMac 30" Pro

it's not way too early for iMac updates... it's been almost six months since it's been updated... also, the Mac Mini was last updated the same day as the last iMac mac update.

even though it's not the popular opinion, i'm full expecting new iMacs at MacWorld (or at least a speed bump).
A touch screen would be nice, as well as a quad-core option.

angrynrdrckr

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
ny

well, seeing as my powerbook g4 just gave up the ghost ($1200 to replace the logic board? no thanks), i am keeping my fingers crossed for a new iMac because i have fresh copies of pro tools m-powered 7.0 and ableton live 5.0 waiting to be installed on a super-fast, kickass new computer. :cool:

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
A touch screen would be nice, as well as a quad-core option.
I have a touch-screen PC monitor at work to control a very complicated radio console and believe me, it's not all it's cracked up to be! It's got a definite "cool" factor, at least at first, but it quickly becomes a PiTA. The iPhone/iTouch works so well because it is small and there's relatively little "travel distance"; you can cover the entire screen with your finger without really moving your hand. But on a full-size screen, supporting your arms get tired very quickly, and in my workplace nobody uses the touchscreens anymore, ever. Spend the next ten minutes pretending to drag-and-drop things on your current monitor and you'll see what I mean. Plus, the iPhone/iTouch is very easy to swipe clean on your sleeve when it gets dirty -- a larger screen isn't.

The mouse/keyboard combination is absolutely the most efficient and manipulable way to control a desktop computer. The trackpad for a normal-sized laptop. Of course touchscreens will become more popular in home computers, but only for secondary input tasks. You can't beat a mouse!

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
iMac 30" Pro

well, seeing as my powerbook g4 just gave up the ghost ($1200 to replace the logic board? no thanks), i am keeping my fingers crossed for a new iMac because i have fresh copies of pro tools m-powered 7.0 and ableton live 5.0 waiting to be installed on a super-fast, kickass new computer. :cool:
I'd get one in a heartbeat....... Pro-Tools 7 would scream on one of these sleek critters..... let alone Logic Pro 8....

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Touch Screen

I have a touch-screen PC monitor at work to control a very complicated radio console and believe me, it's not all it's cracked up to be! It's got a definite "cool" factor, at least at first, but it quickly becomes a PiTA. The iPhone/iTouch works so well because it is small and there's relatively little "travel distance"; you can cover the entire screen with your finger without really moving your hand. But on a full-size screen, supporting your arms get tired very quickly, and in my workplace nobody uses the touchscreens anymore, ever. Spend the next ten minutes pretending to drag-and-drop things on your current monitor and you'll see what I mean. Plus, the iPhone/iTouch is very easy to swipe clean on your sleeve when it gets dirty -- a larger screen isn't.

The mouse/keyboard combination is absolutely the most efficient and manipulable way to control a desktop computer. The trackpad for a normal-sized laptop. Of course touchscreens will become more popular in home computers, but only for secondary input tasks. You can't beat a mouse!
I totally agree...... the mouse and keyboard are the most efficient and least resistant to gravity. Makes sense for the iPhone or small hand held device,
but not for reaching over to a 30" screen each time you want to close or resize a window. Great points!

John Purple

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
... or Aperture :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.