Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlelarry33

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
Just recently my iMac has been taking over 20 seconds to go to sleep after I press the button. I don't know if I have a virus or malware, but it is taking a lot longer then it used, which was instantly

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Have you tried restarting it and then sleeping it? Restart usually fixes most of the problems but if that doesn't help, try repairing permissions with Disk Utility

littlelarry33

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
It has been shutdown and started back up over the past few days, but I will try repairing the permissions.

Dizzy321

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2010
I'm having the same exact problem and I restarted, shutdown, and done the permissions repair...all to no avail.

I just keep thinking virus virus, but then its hard to believe a mac with a virus

goldenpiggy

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Gurnee, IL
Maybe you can try resetting the SMC chip's settings which controls all the power up and power down (this is nothing to do with the PRAM). Turn the computer off and disconnect all cables, including power cable. Wait a couple of minutes, plug the power cable back in and power up.

Interestingly, I had the opposite problem today: my i7 iMac refused to startup after having had a power outage while it was asleep. I pressed the power button and the hard disk, fan, superdrive get power, but no startup chime, nothing on the screen. After doing SMC reset, I had to power on by holding the power button down until the startup chime came. It worked. Weird....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.