iMac temp....too low?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, Jul 29, 2011.

1. macdudesir, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

macdudesir macrumors 6502

I know interesting title right? lol. Anyway, for some crazy reason, it annoys me that me 2011 27 inch iMac never gets hot and make the fan speed up...I started folding at home before i went to sleep, came back the next morning, still working, 100% CPU usage, CPU temp, 59C...fan...default 949rpm...in windows however, prime95 for 5 min gets all four cores up to 63C and idk about the fans because idk any fan monitor for windows...and using CPU-Z i can see the whole time its turbo boosting between 3.1ghz and 3.7ghz...Maybe Windows is a little more aggressive with turbo boost then OSX? I feel like in OSX that my processor isn't working as hard as it can because of these low temps...i idle around 28C by the way...I am on a base 27" iMac 2.7ghz quad i5 Radeon 6770M 512gb 1tb hard drive yadda yadda...anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or interesting info? Also you guys with 27" iMacs, do you notice the same thing i do?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Low Temp

I've had my 27" iMac i7 for a couple of months now, and the temperatures are the same as yours.....It has never revved up at all, cool is errr...well cool really.

Win doze is more likely to heat things up, but don't worry, your CPU is working just fine. I spent last night doing some really heavy duty video rendering....Never heard a thing from the fans.

It's when they overheat and shut down you have problems!:)

3. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much for your reply it's good to know that my CPU is doing it's work lol. I guess I should be happy that it's cool...cooler is always better :D

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's working fine, it just runs cooler since the 2.7GHz i5 is a bit lower power than the 3.1GHz i5 and the 3.4 i7, and the cooling system was designed for the hotter chips, so as a bonus, you get a cooler computer. My family has a 27" i3 from 2010 that is the same way. My brother will play a game for hours and it will be dead silent.

5. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

And I suppose if it did run hot you'd be here complaining about that too!! :rolleyes:

7. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Not as long as the fans were working and it didn't run Macbook Pro hot...:D

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's worth worrying if you see low temps/fan speeds under load but the iMac is physically getting hotter. You may then have a faulty temp sensor. Doesn't appear to be the case here.

9. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

It gets hot at the top, but never too hot to put my hand on it...i think its fine honestly, i just thought it was interesting that it doesn't get hot...