iMac temperature behaviour!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by athinamj, Jan 28, 2011.

1. athinamj macrumors member

My iMac is the 24'' with the 3.06 processor and I bought it on December 2008. A few months ago I installed Snow Leopard. Since then from time to time while my temperatures are normal without playing a game or something I notice that from 45C it reaches 70C all of a sudden. I monitor it through istat. If I reboot istat shows normal temperatures again!
    Can someone tell me why does this happen or if someone has experienced something similar?

2. simsaladimbamba

Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, even your low temp of 45C is way high for doing nothing. I have the exact same model iMac and mine usually runs at 36C-38C while idle.

Maybe your fans need cleaning or maybe one or more aren't working at all. What are your fans speeds showing in iStat?

4. athinamj thread starter macrumors member

My fans work as follows:

CPU fan: 1198
    HD Fan: 1275
    Optical Drive: 698

I took my iMac 2 months ago to the service centre because I had to replace my screen so they cleaned it up for me.

I have only Firefox running now and my CPU Temp is 39C.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Might be a faulty sensor. Hardware check can tell you that. Other than that, do monitor processes all the time to see if anything correlates with your temperature spikes.

6. athinamj thread starter macrumors member

They did a hardware check when I took it to service and everything was fine.
    Next time it happens I will check Activity Monitor!