Imac Temperature issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by backendofabus, Feb 17, 2010.

1. backendofabus macrumors newbie

Had my 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 21" for two years. Installed software to monitor temperature, etc. The computer reads 90 degrees when I turn it on and up to 125 degrees after an hour or two.

Another issue, when I turn it on, it takes about one minute for all the items to appear on the desktop and before I can open Safari, Word, etc. (is this a long time??). During this time there is a very repetitive soft clicking sound coming from from the computer, (as if things are opening or being shuffled around?). History: I had Microsoft Office installed but removed it some time ago. Only 10 gb free on the 250 gb hardrive. Any suggestions much appreciated!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you talk about degrees Fahrenheit, the temperatures are quite normal.
    Those are temps from 32° to 50° Celsius, which is perfectly acceptable for the Core 2 Duo CPUs. They can go up to 100° C without any harm.

The soft clicking might be your HDD, as it gets older it seems to get louder.
    Run Disk Utility and see if the S.M.A.R.T. status gives you any errors-

The boot time seems quite normal if you have gone without any re-installation of the system.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Temperatures: Not an issue (if it's F, but if it was C, your computer would have melted)
    Slowness: what do you have opening when you turn the computer on? Do you have a lot of programs in your dock that have "open at login" enabled?

4. backendofabus thread starter macrumors newbie

Imac Temperature Issues

I have 10 or 11 programs (Safari, Word, Photoshop, etc.) in my dock.
    Is this too large a number?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can have 40 or more applications in the Dock if you want.

What Bacong meant: are some applications set to auto start during the login process?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]