iMac temperatures

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ferrarofilms, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ferrarofilms macrumors member

Does somebody know the top working temperatures of the Imac 2013, especially CPU?
    We are having a very hot summer here with temp soaring to 35 celsius in Brisbane, air con can not be used continually because of the killing bills. So far I've been forcing the internal fan when temperatures get near 70 celsius.
    On my old 2010 Imac when getting to 70 plus the graphics card did not work well making impossible to use FCPX.

Imac Quad 27 2013, 3.4GHz, 16 GB Ram, 2GB Ram

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I do not know what the top 'safe' internal temperature of the new iMac would be, but if you can't run your A/C, and are worried about damaging your computer due to continuous internal high-heat build-up, I would place a small fan behind your iMac, pointing directly at the aluminum rear of the machine. Aluminum has a great capacity to dissipate heat rapidly, and the extra fan will add greatly with that task. You may find the internal fan to come on less often, or for shorter periods of time. And this may seem almost too logical to mention but, check the air vent at the top-rear of your Mac for dust/dirt accumulation and make sure it's un-obstructed. Cheers!

3. iWaiting macrumors regular

have Apple released a update to the late 2012 iMac already I have not read of any update please advise if there is I am sending my iMac back for refund

4. ferrarofilms thread starter macrumors member

Brand new

The machine is brand new, I already ordered a centrifugal fan to help.

5. simsaladimbamba

The late 2012 iMac, announced in 10/2012 and released in 11/2012 and 12/2012 is the current iMac.
    The OP probably just meant the 2012 iMac, but being purchased in 2013, thus the "2013 Imac).

Those Macs in their heat - a sine of over-heating? - a short story by Mister GGJstudios

6. iWaiting macrumors regular

Ooooh I understand now I was a bit concerned that my new late 2012 iMac was out of date ( yes I do know like a new car its out of date when you take it from the showroom )