iMac- The significance of the next update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by atiwhs, Apr 4, 2010.

1. atiwhs macrumors newbie

Hello,

Looking to get a new iMac. The current one I have is the 2005 G5 model, great little machine.

Anyway I digress, I am aware that a new update for the iMac line is due soon (late 2010?) but can we expect any significant updates apart from a speed bump?

Just to add a little meat to the bone in terms of usage generally I'm not going to be using it for anything strenuous or complex, just email, internet, iTunes, iPhoto and Microsoft Office.

Thanks all.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With your usage just buy now. Next update will just be spec bump (new CPUs in low and mid-level + new GPUs) and you won't benefit from it. Last update was huge so don't expect anything special for couple updates

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Agreed, I think we're unlikely to see a huge spec bump to the iMacs for at least another 8 months to a year. Perhaps we'll see i5s and i7s coming to the 21.5", but even so, that would be high end and too much for your needs.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I suppose if we're not talking about speed bumps, we're talking about adding value or design changes. I'd have to say probably not on both counts. Hard Drive sizes are quite capacious and 4GBs of RAM will stay the standard for the next update (maybe 8 GBs for the highest-end iMac but probably not). The only significant other change that could be coming may be an HDMI port, but I'm only saying that because of that AppleInsider rumor. Anyway, HDMI has been requested for years so if don't get your hopes up for that.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The Core i3 and i5 for 21.5" are Clarkdale so dual core but high-end will remain the same as there are no faster chips suitable for iMac. Quad-core in 21.5" isn't really possible due heat and anyway, dual core is still fast

6. JNickyJJ macrumors member

Buy now, the new updates won't be anything major as the major updates were the last one... these current ones will be fine for your needs

7. atiwhs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks sincerely everyone.

Due to my usage the base model (ie 3.06GHz and NVidia graphics card) should be adequate?

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's more than fine for you