iMac Tiger - Blue Screen of Death?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmlloyd, Oct 17, 2007.

1. rmlloyd macrumors newbie

I have lots of applications open on my iMac, I have just returned to it to see the message: -

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for a few seconds or press the Restart button".

I say BSOD because it is set against the blue RSS screensaver background, very windows-esque crash feel to it :(

I didnt think OSX could crash like this. Has anyone else seen this

?:confused:

2. atarin macrumors regular

What restart button? I have an iMac, and as far as I know, there is no restart button. Sounds fishy. As you are a newbie, I have to say "pictures or it didn't happen!" I apologize if you're not lying, but you could be a troll, I don't know.

But no, that has never happened to me.

Oh. I didn't read the first reply (it was authored while I was replying myself). I guess it could happen. Sorry! My bad! [Taking foot out of mouth now] Wow, that sucks! Still, I do want to know where this restart button is (unless this is a generic alert that comes up that could apply to a PC running Linux or something).

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Some older Power Mac G3/G4s had a restart (programmer's) button.

4. rmlloyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Eidoran: Thanks for the links :)

"The Grey Screen of Panic and Disarray" lol :)

lol, I am no Troll :p I typed the message exactly as it appears on the screen, I don't have a 'Restart' button either but I assume it is referring to the Mac Books.

Check this link to see the message I copied from:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106227

now I have to find out what really caused the problem in the first place.... Knowing my luck with PC Harddisks, it will be a bad sector or something. I sure hope OSX handles them better than windoze!

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If the machine didn't suffer a really hard crash then you should be greeted by a panic log when you reboot. Posting the contents of the log here would help diagnose the cause.