iMac to Airport to router to network printer?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FloridaJo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. FloridaJo macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

I just found out I can hook my Samsung ML-2851ND
    to the router and have a networked printer.

I can't seem to figure out how to connect my iMac
    via Airport to that networked printer and later
    Win XP on VMWare on that iMac.

I think if I can get the iMac to find the printer,
    the Win XP on VM should be easy.

Any ideas? The IP is 192.0.0.192 according to the printout, but putting that in the browser on the wireless iMac or another wired iMac will not find the printer homepage.

Thanks

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

What is the ip of your iMac? It might not be on the same subnet, so they can't talk to each other. Just bridge the connection of the VMWare XP to the host (the iMac in this case).

3. FloridaJo thread starter macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

4. FloridaJo thread starter macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

I also did the bridge - no change.
    The other iMac is hardwired to the router, and it doesn't see the printer either. It's OSX only.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They are on different subnets as I suspected. Need to get them on the same subnets to see them.

6. FloridaJo thread starter macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

I think I got that far too. I'm trying to set the IP address with Samsungs' SetIP program and the SyncThru Web Service, but neither one sees the printer. Even whey I type in the Mac address, it returns "no response from device".

Not sure what to do now.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I am not familiar with your particular printer, so I am not sure this is possible, but can you set it directly through a front panel entry on the machine (I have a Samsung that allows that)?

You could always try and connect the printer directly to the mac and set an addressing that way.

The last option I an think of is, disconnect the printer, go into your router, set a static IP address using the mac address of the printer, and then reconnect the printer so it is assigned the new ip address.

8. FloridaJo thread starter macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

I've gone into the router and set up what I think is an IP based upon the MAC
    Screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    This is the advanced page of the router:
    [​IMG]

Still not able to see the printer on the router.
    The mac seems to find it (bonjour) but when you print to it, it never connects.
    I should be able to bring up the printer home page (192.0.0.192) but it never does. I'm thinking it is outside of the range of DHCP 192.168.1.1 to .255 and doesn't see it for this reason. No front panel buttons.
    I think I have to set the IP of the printer, but the Samsung software is no help.

9. FloridaJo thread starter macrumors newbie

FloridaJo

Finally got ahold of Samsung support again, and they gave be a browser link for setting the IP which when I used it, I could see my printer. But not when I used the downloaded program from their support page. After setting the IP to something within 192.168.1.1 - .255 the computers were able to see it.
    Thanks for your help.
    Glad that's over.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

The first two sets of numbers beyond the 192 create the subnets. With them on different subnets, they will not see each other. This is a way that several companies create internal nets that allow members to be on several different restricted nets.

Glad you got it worked out. If you were to create a guest network (such as the one created on Airports) it will create the network in a different subset and this will allow for internet connectivity while not interfering or compromising the host net.