iMac to APE to PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by m.a.d.jordan25, Apr 16, 2008.

1. m.a.d.jordan25 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.....

I have a 24in iMac with an airport extreme card. What i am wondering is if I can use my Airport Express to connect my ps3 to the internet through a wired connection from the airport in my iMac. If so please provide detailed instructions for me. If you don't understand my question please ask me a few questions. Thanks in advance...

2. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I am wondering if people even try to do things by themselves any more.

Yes, you can connect your PS3 to your network. All you need to do is create your network and then go to network settings on the PS3 and answer all the questions. It is very straight forward and easy. I have networked my PS3 with both the Extreme and Express Airports.

3. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have tried several times and I don't understand how to set up the airport so that is will share my internet connection from my mac. Every time i turn on internet sharing my APE disappears when from Airport Utility.

4. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

You do not have to enable internet sharing.

1. Plug ethernet cable from router to APE.
    2. Configure network.
    3. With APE you will have to have both your Mac and PS3 connect to the net wirelessly
    4. setup network settings on PS3.

5. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using my internal router in my mac....

What i want to do is use the airport IN MY MAC to my APE then from the APE use a wired connection to the PS3.

6. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

7. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. spearcarrier macrumors newbie

If you have a wireless network available to you, use the Airport Admin Utility to set your APE to connect as a wireless client instead of creating a network in the Wireless tab. Then de-select "Distribute IP Addresses" in the Network tab.

If you need a wireless network, create it on your Mac in the Internet section of the Sharing preference pane, but remember you can only share your ethernet connection as a new wireless network, unless you have two wireless cards.

9. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks but I am on Leopard and every time I select Internet sharing I disconnect from my APEx.....

10. spearcarrier macrumors newbie

you can't share your wireless and use it to connect to the APE at the same time. use an ethernet cable :)

also, it turns out you need to use WDS to make this work... see this from long ago and far away

11. minik macrumors 65816

You're not satisfied with the built-in wireless on the PS3?

12. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

spearcarrier: Thanks I get what those guys were doing but I don't understand how that helps me. See they used the APE to extend there wireless network through a 3rd party router. I want to use my computer as the router and send the internet to the APE and connect my ps3 through the Ethernet port.

I am not satisfied with the ps3 wireless because I cannot connect my ps3 through the internal airport card in my iMac. I have spent months surfing forums and this is a common problem among mac users. So its look like after buying a airport express, I can't use a router that is already built into my computer. So it looks like I am going to have to buy a router....and return my APE too.

13. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

The Airport card in your iMac is not a router. It is an Airport card that only receives wifi signals. If it were a router, there would be no need for Apple to sell wireless routers such as the Airport Extreme or Express.

Leopard does have a share internet option. I don't know very much about it because I have never had to use it but, I think it only works through a network which means you would have to have a router to use it anyway. Someone that knows more about this can clarify.

I am having a hard time understanding why you are trying to find a work-around. You have the ability to create a perfectly fast "n" network with the equipment you've got but, are choosing not to use it.

14. minik macrumors 65816

I only used 'Internet Sharing' feature when I was in hotel with only one wired connection, but I have a notebook and iPod touch with me.

At home, DSL modem (turned off DHCP) to AirPort Extreme base station in the basement to serve all my Mac, Apple TV, Wii, PS3, iPod touch; along side I have an AirPort Express upstair thru WDS.

15. spearcarrier macrumors newbie

Buy a wireless router already. You can afford a PS3, surely it's pocket change?

You can't do the thing you want to do, Mac -> APE -> PS3, but APE -> APE -> PS3 works. I use the Express like this myself.

Another Express might be a good choice :p

16. spearcarrier macrumors newbie

Your mac, its ethernet port and its airport card will act together as a router, but not every device will be able to use your shared internet.

Using Internet Sharing over an internal wireless card causes you to create a wireless network; most decent wireless hardware allows you to create a network, you don't have to join an existing one.

17. spearcarrier macrumors newbie

/thread

18. m.a.d.jordan25 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK guys thanks for all your prompt responses. I think ill just return the APEx and get a router. ( I am going to start a new topic about which router to buy.) Thanks again for all your help.