Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicklaz0r

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Sweden
a new Apple Cinema display? The Cinema display was updated a September last year, maybe they'll introduce the new iMac at the same time with a retina pixel density? Just a thought

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
One channel of Thunderbolt does not have enough bandwidth to drive a Retina display. In 2014 Intel will supposedly increase the speeds and that's when we could see one.

nicklaz0r

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2012
Sweden
One channel of Thunderbolt does not have enough bandwidth to drive a Retina display. In 2014 Intel will supposedly increase the speeds and that's when we could see one.

Reasons I'm kind of starting to think something with the display is changing;

- The wait (If it was just a spec bump, it would've already been released in June OR with the ML release)

- The pressure Apple is getting by all this retina-talk

- if it was to be released this year, september would be good (as I said, with the cinema display)

- We could really never imagine that the MBP would get a retina display, look what happend. A laptop has a resolution bigger than your HDTV in your home

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
The reason for the wait is production issues with the display. It's not retina. It's a new process to reduce glare like the rMBP. Apple most likely wanted to ship new iMacs with the ML release but these issues delayed them. I would not expect a retina display until next year at the earliest.

Again, a retina Thunderbolt Cinema Display would be utterly useless right now because there isn't enough bandwidth in the physical Thunderbolt port to drive it.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
IMO they will ship the new iMac in September, I hope the screen is matte or reduced glare as I work with a window right behind me and I can't change that.

I agree the retina display is unlikely this year unless they have a massive increase in the speed from the GPU. I'm betting the retina iMac in an all new case will come mid 2013, likely without DVD but will probably keep all it's current ports on the back. The main reason some were dropped from the MBPr was a lack of space, not an issue on the iMac. It would be nice if they placed 1 or 2 USB ports on the side near the SD slot for easy access. I also bet the 2013 iMac will feature a thinner case, which could fit a DVD drive but Apple is keen on people getting there music/movies from iTunes. Plus with a thinner case cooling could be an issue so no DVD could allow better air flow. Also I doubt they will solder in the RAM, again the main reason they did this in the MBPr was space issues.

So IMO the 2013 iMac will have.
- New thinner case, reduced or no 'chin'.
- No DVD.
- Retina display.
- User upgradeable RAM, 4 slots.
- Existing ports on the back.
- SSD cheaper, maybe standard on all but the base model.
- Faster CPU/GPU/RAM.

Heinous

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
I'd expect a new Thunderbolt Display to have USB 3.0. I hope that'd be reason enough for them to upgrade it this year. Retina would be premature, as is often repeated.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I just want an updated thunderbolt display with USB 3 retina would be icing on the cake but not needed.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
If it's true, I hope the next Thunderbolt Display would have:

• 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • 3.5mm audio out with mini TOSLINK support.
  • HDMI or secondary DisplayPort/Thunderbolt input for my next gaming PC.. Mac don't do games, remember? :p
  • Magical power switch ... :rolleyes:

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I really don't think that there will be ~27" retina dpi displays this year, as stand alone or in iMacs.

A 4k 27" iMac might be a possibility, but that's still only 163dpi, still pretty far away from the 220dpi of the Retina Macbook.

Now they might call a 4k(3840x2160) 27" iMac "Retina" because of the viewing distance, but that would also mean that the default "Best for Retina" scaling mode would be equivalent to 1080p on a 27" display.

Now they could do something like they did with the first 30" cinema display and price it much higher than the current displays. A ~200dpi 27" cinema display might go for something like $3k while the non-retina model remains at the same price.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
as it seems now, iphone "5" will be released with an ipad mini in september. So I think its safe to assume that the imac will be released after the iphone. I think this is completely ridiculous. Then 2 iphone generations have passed between one imac update.

im interested to see if the days since last update will be more than doubled the average...(?)

Last edited:

BenniG

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
as it seems now, iphone "5" will be released with an ipad mini in september. So I think its safe to assume that the imac will be released after the iphone. I think this is completely ridiculous. Then 2 iphone generations have passed between one imac update.

im interested to see if the days since last update will be more than doubled the average...(?)

You wonder?
What is Apples cash cow? Not the iMac the iphone! The ipad!

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
You wonder?
What is Apples cash cow? Not the iMac the iphone! The ipad!

its sad though. There's just about a limit how many phones one can own. But I also need new a computer.

Last edited:

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
The pressure Apple is getting by all this retina-talk

Apple doesn't do pressure. Works on its own timelines. And I just don't buy these screen lamination thing. Where have we actually heard this from other than the analyst report the week before ML release? Have we triangulated the information with channel checks of our own via supply chain? No. So, lets just stop taking each little unconfirmed rumour and taking it as gospel.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
At least in the latest email ad I got from apple they promote mountain lion and emphasize that it works perfect with the new released laptops. So at least they acknowledge that their desktops aren't something to brag about, currently...but they keep using the iMac as the marketing image with ML.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
Desire clouds the vision. If Apple could produce this screen I shudder to think what it would cost.

It ain't happening any time soon.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
And I just don't buy these screen lamination thing. Where have we actually heard this from other than the analyst report the week before ML release? Have we triangulated the information with channel checks of our own via supply chain? No. So, lets just stop taking each little unconfirmed rumour and taking it as gospel.

I laughed at this guy when he said in June that MBAs and Retina MBPs were coming at WWDC instead of iMacs. The right CPU's aren't available for MBAs, I said. There's no way Retina is ready for 15" the same year it came out for 10", I said. And even if it were ready, Apple doesn't hedge - if they think Retina is the future of the MBP then they won't sell a non-Retina one, I said.

I'm not laughing anymore. If this guy tells me that there's a new screen with a manufacturing issue with lamination, and we should start to see new iMacs in late September or early October, then by golly, So Say We All.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I laughed at this guy when he said in June that MBAs and Retina MBPs were coming at WWDC instead of iMacs.

Undoubtedly he's well connected and it seems that someone high up at Apple is briefing him (which in itself raises Sarbanes Oxley regulatory type questions) but answer me this please. Do you think said manufacturing issues relate to a bottle neck or a total block in manufacturing? Because if it's the former, it has NEVER stopped Apple releasing a product to its schedule before and dealing with supply limitations for a few weeks. It adds to the buzz usually. So on this occasion, I just don't buy it. Especially for a low volume product such as the iMac. That, coupled with the mac pro experience of the past 2 years, tells me Apple has lost focus in its pro lines. Something is going on, it's just I don't know what it is and, as such, it is impossible to predict when the refresh will happen. It could happen quietly tomorrow, it could happen in late September, it could happen in November or it could happen in 2013. Just don't know. All I know is that with every day that goes by, the clearer Haswell comes into focus which is why I am slowly changing my plans. Will probably buy a mini to tie me over until I figure out what is going on with the iMac

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
. . . So at least they acknowledge that their desktops aren't something to brag about, currently...but they keep using the iMac as the marketing image with ML.

I noticed this as well. The backdrop of the galaxy seems more fitting on a larger screen. So in pictures, they use the iMac to say, "look at our beautiful OS", and in words, they brag about how well Mountain Lion runs on their laptops. Harrummph.

. . . So Say We All.

So Say We All.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
What if this is true, http://www.imore.com/apple-iphone-5...ptember-12-iphone-5-release-date-september-21 ?

iPhone 5 and iPad Mini in september, will they release new iMac's in the same month :confused:

I've always had this problem with the idea of an October launch. But if they launch the iOS stuff in September, then they can get iMacs in in October without too much trouble, I think.

----------

Do you think said manufacturing issues relate to a bottle neck or a total block in manufacturing? Because if it's the former, it has NEVER stopped Apple releasing a product to its schedule before and dealing with supply limitations for a few weeks. It adds to the buzz usually.

My feeling is that it relates to a quality issue that would require lots of replacement units and probably a PR hit if they went full speed ahead.

I'm trying to think of an example pertaining to Macs where an artificial supply constraint was created by manufacturing issues but Apple went ahead with it anyway. I can't come up with one. We've seen that a bit in the iOS space, but consumer electronics is a whole different ballgame than computers, and people who want a specific $200-$500 device are generally less willing to buy something else because the one they want isn't on the shelf.

Swordylove

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2012

I know right... exactly how I feel. :mad:

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I think it's all fitting together now. iOS stuff in September, iMacs in October or August if the manufacturing issues are resolved.

If you watch Tim Cook's interview at this year's All Things D, he very clearly lays out what Apple thinks the consumer is going to want as we move forward: more frequent iOS product updates, and less frequent Mac updates than we've been used to in the past. There is a lot of competition in the mobile market and still plenty of progress to be made, and the consumer's appetite for these products is seemingly insatiable. It's exactly the opposite in the Mac/PC world. Things are pretty stagnant, and there just aren't a whole lot of revolutionary gains to be made at this point. The interest (and money) is in iOS products.

gnrredphoenix

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
I can only pray that apple still plans an october release for the imac. The new rumor about the iphone being launched in late september scares the **** out of me because i don't think apple can drop the imac close to the iphone date. I still have my money on a mid-late october release, but then again I had my money on a July release too :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.