Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inziga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
It is obvious to us all now that there will be no more production of the current line of iMacs. We also all know that history goes to show that when stockpiles of Apple computer parts are finished off and that no more are comming in, it is a sign of a new release.

This makes us assume that Apple will soon (probably in July) release new iMacs.

There is something different about how long they are waiting to release the next generation on the product line. The last time we saw this long of a wait between Apple supplys emptying and a release of a new product was when Apple went from the G3 to the G4 in the iMac. The life span of the previous iMacs (frist gen) was a little less than four years. This generation has been around for three years and several months. This can leave obvious gaps for imagination as to what will be happening with the iMac.....(a G5 maybe?)

One arena that hasn't really been explored to much though is that maybe Apple plans to kill the iMac in Leu of a better alternative. Such an alternative would have to be absolutly groundbreaking in order for Apple to flat out kill the iMac. I belive that Apple is tired of updating the same lines of hardware, and that they are cooking up something new in the computer desktop arena. If this happens, the iMac could be flat out replaced by this new computing hardware, or the iMac line could be phased out completly and the new hardware line be moved in as the "middle range" of Apple.

What are the chances of something like that happening?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
inziga said:
It is obvious to us all now that there will be no more production of the current line of iMacs...This makes us assume that Apple will soon (probably in July) release new iMacs.

It does?

Well, this is Mac Rumors after all. Speculate all you like.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
Speculate all you want, but realize that fitting a little G5 heater into a small case is turning out to be pretty hard.

- reaper

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I agree there will be an iMac update soon, or that the iMac will be replaced with something else... either way it will most likely have a G5.

The proof is in the pudding: with the OS X 10.3.4 release there was the new PowerMac 8,1 in some file... and that doesn't mean the new G5s, because that was 5,2 or 5,3 (I can't remember exactly).

Lee Tom

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
When dealing with a computer as a package like the iMac, a considerable amount of ewngineering must go into account. Its not just a chip replacement, but an entire redesign of the logic board, and internals. They would need to manage additional heat from MOBO chips, the G5 itself, even at a slower speed, aditional power for fans, and of course betetr video, as everyone will scream if the video chipsset is not updated as well.
I am sure the faster ram produced more heat as well. Not to mention drives, etc. I think the iMac uses 2.5 drives, and I do not think any SATA 2.5 exist yet. Maybe performance of a low end G5 chip without a SATA drive is not what Apple expects?
When the iMac was released, it was an amazing product. They repeated the amazment and wowness of the original iMac, and had a great product. The original was copied to death, we had candy colored phones, books, pens, etc and still do. Now we have the minalmist chrome and white everything. Not only does it look good, but the iMac became a G4, although crippled, it was a huge move.

So, the next iMac will blow you away I am sure, but as for when, they have much engineering to overcome.

Apple is in the business to make money. I am sure that if it was possible to sell a bunch of iMacs G5 prior to releaseing a Pro Powerbook G5 they would sell the iMacs, and when ready sell the Powerbooks. The powerbook is still a great laptop, and there is no law that states the desktop and portable lines need to be in sync e for performance or even close to it.

I think its safe to say an iMac should be possible before a portable. Once it is, I think Apple will run with it and rack up the sales. It even makes sens to release a new iMac in thew next 3 to 5 months, get the buzz and hype, then release updates powerbooks 10 months from now. Keep the momentum going.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
inziga said:
One arena that hasn't really been explored to much though is that maybe Apple plans to kill the iMac in Leu of a better alternative.

What does this mean? Obviously improving it is the goal. But why rebrand it?

They have the "pro" desktops, which are separates. The only thing they might do with an iMac, it seems (other than G5, etc.), is make it a component system with a separate monitor. But is that really revolutionary? It might make more sense. Have powermacs that are "pro" and "consumer" and then an "emac" line that's all-in-one. But how different is that? If anything, it's likely to take a marketing hit. Say what you will about the price/performance of the iMac, but its appearance is iconic and has provided a huge marketing boon in the form of eye candy for casual consumers.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
inziga said:
The life span of the previous iMacs (frist gen) was a little less than four years. This generation has been around for three years and several months. This can leave obvious gaps for imagination as to what will be happening with the iMac.....(a G5 maybe?)

The G4 iMacs have only been around since Jan 2002. That is when I placed my order (when they were released) and I did not receive mine until March 2002 b/c of high demand after the initial release. That means this current design has only been around about 2 1/2 years. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I'm all for a G5 processor in the iMac but the current design is not that dated and is beautiful sitting on your desk....especially the mobility of the LCD screen which is still unrivaled. I hope that they do not completely redesign this again, but modify it so that it is somewhat similar to the current design but has it's own G5 flavor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.