Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I really want one of the new iMacs, but I want it now or wait until Leopard at the latest. However, since the iPhone deal, I'm hesitant to buy things right away from Apple in fear they may update it shortly after. What do you think about Apple possibly upgrading the new iMac line in Jan/Feb? What do you think they would update about it?

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
Manchester
They arent going to slash the prices of the iMac like they did the iPhone, and any upgrade to the iMac is going to be minor.

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
I really want one of the new iMacs, but I want it now or wait until Leopard at the latest. However, since the iPhone deal, I'm hesitant to buy things right away from Apple in fear they may update it shortly after. What do you think about Apple possibly upgrading the new iMac line in Jan/Feb? What do you think they would update about it?

I am hearing from inside sources they are working on a 30" iMac version, the monitor part is same as apple's 30" cinema display. Apple is aggresively going after the market with new intel chips. Switcher rates are on the rise currently with new iMacs, especially the demand for 24" 2.8Ghz model is overwhelming apple now.

jgw1283

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
Tempe, AZ
hmmm well I dont need a 30'' iMac, so maybe I will just buy now.

I prefer the 20'' simply because I dont need the 24'' and the high end 20 has everything I need, but I am hearing about the screens not being as good. Can anyone shed light on exactly what this is about?

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario

I prefer the 20'' simply because I dont need the 24'' and the high end 20 has everything I need, but I am hearing about the screens not being as good. Can anyone shed light on exactly what this is about?

I don't know why people are complaining problems with 20" imacs and 24" are being superior. I think somebody is stimulating the market to buy 24" instead as there are shortgages for 24" 2.8Ghz orders now. Both monitors are same and are run on same drivers. Go see yourself at apple store.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
I don't know why people are complaining problems with 20" imacs and 24" are being superior. I think somebody is stimulating the market to buy 24" instead as there are shortgages for 24" 2.8Ghz orders now. Both monitors are same and are run on same drivers. Go see yourself at apple store.

Simply not true. The 24" is a superior panel to the 20". This has been proven by looking at part numbers. Many people have commented on the superior 24" display. It even boasts a wider viewing angle. They are not the same part.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I don't really understand all the hoopla concerning the screen quality of the iMacs.

I've got a 20 incher and the quality is fantastic. Mind you, I needed to calibrate the color out of the box as it originally looked a little washed out, but once you get that done using expert mode, it's amazing.

I was at a Future Shop today and they had the new iMacs and the old iMacs sitting side by side. Screen quality difference is like night and day. The new 20 inch crushes the old screen in my opinion.

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
30" iMac?

Currently the Apple 30" ACD costs $1700, what the hell is this thing going to cost?

Tracer

barcoguy45

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007

Go look in the store. Open itunes show, internet radio station. Then look at the blue and white dividing bars. On mine in different areas it would fade to white. 24" has a higher quality screen. 20" is a cheaper screen. Look for other posts on here that explain it better

fireplace

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
London
I bought A 20" 2.4 today. Its great, especially after having used a 12"PBG4 and a 15.4 windoze laptop for the last year. I have pondered long and hard but the impending demise of the windows machine pushed me - i just thought 'oh, what the hell!'

Tiger works fine, i'll get the spotty OS when the bugs have been ironed out.

as regards the screen - mine seems fine. I may be a bit more scrupulous if were some visual arts pro - but i'm not, i'll do simple processing on the shots from my cannon 400d and that's about it.

my suspicions about some people that complain about screens are:
a) too many hours spent at computer screens, and
b) (mummy said) frequent masturbation

...make your eyes go funny.

Italchef

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2003
Maple, Ontario
The answer here, as always, is that it's anyone's guess. I decided last fall to purchase a new iMac. According to the buying guide the update was really due at Macworld. I decided to wait until the updated ones arrived. Well its well into September now and I'm finally getting my iMac. At this point I could have waited another month and had mine ship with Leopard.
I guess my point is that unless you really need it, and at this point I do, you could be waiting forever for the next update/release. In the grand sceme of things whatever you buy will be outdated in 6 months anyway, so just buy when you need it and be happy with your purchase. If you're only concerned with getting the latest and greatest, then PC's are a better choice as you can swap, dissect, etc.
Let us know what you decide.

Mick

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonP1i/R100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; 598) Opera 8.65 [en])

Intel just announced there will be a refresh in January on Santa Rosa with the 45nm Penryn. I would say an iMac refresh at Macworld.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Doesn't Intel have a new chip coming out in a few months? Penryn or something? Maybe that's a desktop processor. Anyway, I think any update will be minor, like a processor bump.

I just got a 2.8 24", and it's amazing. I recommend it.

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonP1i/R100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; 598) Opera 8.65 [en])

Intel just announced there will be a refresh in January on Santa Rosa with the 45nm Penryn. I would say an iMac refresh at Macworld.

The existing iMac is a faster chip than the new ones coming in january, as they are for MacBook Pro. The are rated at 2.8 extreme, 2.6, 2.5, 2.4 and 2.1.
The current macBook Pros are 2.2 and 2.4. iMac is not going to see a refresh until 3 or 4 quarter next year. Get over it and buy whats there now. As for OS X Leopard we'll get either free upgrade or discounted. My reseller will get me for free anyway. We are less than 30 days from an upgrade.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Apple never uses Macworld for refresh lines. It's only for new innovative products.

FatSweatyBlldog

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
The difference is LCD panel type

The AL iMac 20'' uses a TN panel (type of panel found on most laptops)
The AL imac 24'' uses an H-IPS panel

The white 20'' iMac uses an S-IPS panel, so if you want to go 20'' and LCD panel quality is essential to your needs, you can consider that as an option.

Here are some specific characteristics of each type:

TN film (Twisted Nematic)
- low manufacturing/retail costs
- restrictive viewing angles
- fast pixel response times
- dead pixels display white. Stuck pixels display RGB colors
- lower contrast levels means blacks are not as dark as VA based panels
- lower color reproduction

IPS (In Plane Switching)
- improved viewing angles over TN
- very good color reproduction
- slower pixel response times than TN
- dead pixels display black
- lower contrast levels means blacks are not as dark as VA based panels

Super-IPS (S-IPS)
- same as IPS except ...
- likely best color reproduction of all TFT
- less expensive to produce than IPS
- improved pixel response

Find more info here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1039222

or

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
The existing iMac is a faster chip than the new ones coming in january, as they are for MacBook Pro. The are rated at 2.8 extreme, 2.6, 2.5, 2.4 and 2.1.

Sorry but how are the existing C2D Extreme Merom chips in the iMac with 4M L2 Cache be faster than the upcoming mobile Penryn chips with 6M L2 Cache? :confused:

These Penryn chips can very well and easily make their way into the new iMacs (Rev.B). Because the new iMacs already support the Santa Rosa CPU with 800MHz FSB, I believe one can DYI upgrade the processor with the new Penryn 6M L2 cache as they have the same socket.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
They arent going to slash the prices of the iMac like they did the iPhone, and any upgrade to the iMac is going to be minor.

True . . . they usually up the specs while keeping prices flat. Apparently not an option for iPhone (although I suspect the price drop is a hidden subsidy from AT&T, which usually drops phone prices/increses rebates a few weeks/months after release of a new phone).

As for 30" imac, isn't there a limit? At some point, you're basically buying a monitor, and those last a lot longer than the computer (in terms of being up to date). If you need 30", you probably want a pro (or, if they made it, a nice powerful mini).

blumoon

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
The AL iMac 20'' uses a TN panel (type of panel found on most laptops)
The AL imac 24'' uses an H-IPS panel

The white 20'' iMac uses an S-IPS panel, so if you want to go 20'' and LCD panel quality is essential to your needs, you can consider that as an option.

Here are some specific characteristics of each type:

Thanks for the summary. Very informative.

DemNoir

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
Anyone who reads this forum knows that the new iMac is worst computer since the Coleco Adam. Expect the iMac to be dropped at MacWorld and Steve Jobs to use the event to issue an apology and tender his resignation.

imac/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
As for 30" imac, isn't there a limit? At some point, you're basically buying a monitor, and those last a lot longer than the computer (in terms of being up to date). If you need 30", you probably want a pro (or, if they made it, a nice powerful mini).

A lot of people are using the iMac for entertainment purposes and a 30" screen would be great. The fact that getting a mac pro and a 30" ACD is extremely expensive and the mac pro would be overkill for entertainment purposes, a 30" iMac could still find a market. A lot of people love the simplicity of an all-in-one. Also with resolution independence in Leopard, a larger screen is even more of a benefit for those that want to work some distance from their computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.