iMac to camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JMurph2014, Feb 11, 2014.

1. JMurph2014, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

JMurph2014 macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2014
    [/B][/B]I'm a newbie to this forum. Hopefully, someone out there will know how to download projects from iMovie to a DV camcorder. I've recently created several DVD's of my daughter's wedding from iMovie & now I hope to regain hard drive space. According to David Progue's "Missing Manual Series," it's possible to transfer a high quality copy of iMovie projects back to the original DV tapes. I happen to be working with iMovie 9, a firewire cable and a Panasonic DV camcorder (PV-GS250). Anybody out there ever attempt this before? I haven't come across any info about it on the internet. I'd hate to loose all of the movies I've created for the 4 wedding DVD's.
  2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    As far as I know DV tapes are designed to only be written from a camera or a deck. To put footage back onto them you would have to have access to a pricey DV deck that you could output to. I could be wrong but I don't know of a system that can do it from iMovie unless it has an output to DV option.

My suggestion would be to save yourself the effort and buy a good backup drive. You can get 1TB+ of storage for under or around $100 and back all your footage up to that.

This gives you the ability to re-use the tape and you aren't trusting an analog medium for your footage. If it's something you REALLY can't afford to lose than get a second drive and back it up twice.
  3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2009
    The early versions of iMovie and FCP you coud go back and transfer to tape. If you have a recordable DVD then you can connect camcorder and copy DVD back to tape.