iMac to camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JMurph2014, Feb 11, 2014.

1. JMurph2014, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

JMurph2014 macrumors newbie

[/B][/B]I'm a newbie to this forum. Hopefully, someone out there will know how to download projects from iMovie to a DV camcorder. I've recently created several DVD's of my daughter's wedding from iMovie & now I hope to regain hard drive space. According to David Progue's "Missing Manual Series," it's possible to transfer a high quality copy of iMovie projects back to the original DV tapes. I happen to be working with iMovie 9, a firewire cable and a Panasonic DV camcorder (PV-GS250). Anybody out there ever attempt this before? I haven't come across any info about it on the internet. I'd hate to loose all of the movies I've created for the 4 wedding DVD's.

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

As far as I know DV tapes are designed to only be written from a camera or a deck. To put footage back onto them you would have to have access to a pricey DV deck that you could output to. I could be wrong but I don't know of a system that can do it from iMovie unless it has an output to DV option.

My suggestion would be to save yourself the effort and buy a good backup drive. You can get 1TB+ of storage for under or around $100 and back all your footage up to that.

This gives you the ability to re-use the tape and you aren't trusting an analog medium for your footage. If it's something you REALLY can't afford to lose than get a second drive and back it up twice.

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

The early versions of iMovie and FCP you coud go back and transfer to tape. If you have a recordable DVD then you can connect camcorder and copy DVD back to tape.
    :apple: