iMac to CTR TV - Showing Movies - Would This Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Dec 3, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

I would like to try and connect my iMac ( 2008 ) to my home CTR Tv , to show movies Etc , This is what I am thinking of doing ..

1. Buy this ..

[​IMG]

and This ...

[​IMG]

and then use the S-Video connection from the Apple Adapter to connect to

my TV's S-Video in socket as show here ...

[​IMG]

the other connectors on my TV are these...

[​IMG]

Do you think it would work..?

Any comments or advice most welcome

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Wow, that's a rarity. A well presented post.

It should work, especially when your TV has the S-Video input you wanna buy a cable for.

If you have an RCA (red and white/black) audio cable lying around, you can use either white/black or red to connect the yellow composite out of the Apple mini DVI video adapter to your TV's composite input (picture 3 and even 4) or buy a yellow composite cable.

Thanks for that well presented post. Did I already say, that they are scarce here?

Have a good day.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

Like spinnerlys says, yes, it should work just fine. I've used just such a setup with an older Mac in the past.

However, since it appears that you have component video input on your TV, you may be able to get better video quality with a VGA to Component video converter box (something like this). It will be significantly more expensive, though, so depending on the quality of the movies you want to view, your budget, and the quality of your TV it might not be worth it (if your TV supports progressive scan and you want to be able to read text, I'd recommend it, though).

Note that while it's quite easy to find a "VGA to component cable" (as opposed to converter box), these probably will NOT work; they are usually for projectors and/or graphics cards that support component out on the VGA port (which I don't know if the iMac's does, but probably not). A converter box actually modifies the VGA signal, so, coupled with a MiniDVI to VGA adapter (Apple sells them), they should work. Never tried it, though, so I can't say for sure, or tell you how much the quality would differ.

4. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Guy's for the info its appreciated , just thinking about it again my Tv is
    not that new , so I am now wondering if it may not work too well in the end, my next option may be a Media center like the new WD TV Live .

Thanks again :)

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Unless you specifically prefer a dedicated device like WD's product for interface reasons (or because you don't want to have your iMac in physical proximity to the TV and turned on while you're watching), it won't get you any better quality--the limiting factor there is going to be the TV, not the device outputting video to it.

Given that I'd guess most of those media player devices will cost quite a bit more than the relevant adapter for an iMac, I'd kind of think it's not worth the investment personally. Then again, nothing inherently wrong with that route.

Out of curiosity what is the TV model? I don't remember seeing many CRTs with component inputs. Kind of curious if it actually supports 480p (or higher) or if the component is just there to boost quality a hair over S-Video.