iMac to HDMI TV.... Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by picnic4u, Jul 16, 2013.

1. picnic4u macrumors newbie

Ok, I thought I had this sorted but need some help.
    I have a 2007 iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo connect so I know I need mini DVI out. My TV is a Panasonic TH-42PZ plasma TV with HDMI. So I have got the Mini DVI to HDMI and a HDMI lead. Now when I connect this the Mac Flashes blue and come up with the menu for the TV and says the other display is a Panasonic TV.. great... Now the Problem... TH TV screen just stays black. I tried two different HDMI leads , tried all the various 1080i,p 720, 50hz, 60hz combinations , tried both HDMI inputs in the tv. Nothing I know I still need another lead for the sound but why is this not working , The mac clearly knows it's connected to the TV? I saw on the product spec for the model it says the output support from the mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter. It doesn't mention HDMI but it appears lots of others are connecting ok .... am I missing something?
    PLEASE help

2. SueG macrumors member

SueG

You need to select the source to hdmi on your tv remote

3. picnic4u thread starter macrumors newbie

You mean the channel where the hdmi input is? .... come on you got to try better than that.. of course i checked I was on the correct input. My blu ray is plugged in there so I put a disc in so I knew i was on the right channel then Un plugged the HDMI and plugged in the imac ..... black screen

4. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

When you try and move the mouse pointer off the right side of your desktop does it disappear or stay visible?

5. picnic4u thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Slow Programmer macrumors regular

I am running a similar set-up on a 2009 iMac and have only had a few problems. Overall it has worked well. I am not sure if it is helpful, but if i set the resolution to 1080,720 etc I will have a black screen on the TV. Actually, if I set the resolution to anything except 1360 x 768 I have a black screen as that is the only setting that will work with my TV. It also takes as long as 15 seconds for the black screen to change when i set it from an unusable resolution to the usable resolution.

Hopefully some of this will be helpful.