iMac to MacBook - improvements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mariannukka, Mar 8, 2011.

1. mariannukka, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

mariannukka macrumors newbie

Feel free to tell others if you're planning on/interested in/upgrading from an older mac computer/pc to a new mac computer!

As you can see from my signature, I have a 2008 iMac, with 2.8 Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS 512MB GDDR3 and 500GB HDD storage. I am planning on buying a MacBook Pro (15" preferred). I ditched the 13" because of the integrated intel graphics card, that one is just not enough for me. I expected more from Apple... But hey, those processors are MONSTERS!!!

Later on, I will upgrade the RAM and the HDD myself, from 4 to 8 GB and from HDD to SSD (the latter probably later).

My question is: Will I see improvements from my old iMac on graphical area in the new low-end 15" MacBook Pro? Should I buy that one or the high-end MBP?

I play mostly Call of Duty (MW, MW2, BO). I do own GTA IV, Mafia II and games like such, but I don't play those very much.

Also, I do video editing.

Thank you in advantage! :)

P.S. Please also tell me which MBP even handles those games... I am still not sure which one to buy!

2. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Actual gaming = high-end 15". CPU and GPU bump for $400 shows real-world benefits (plus, 1GB GDDR5 RAM is too good to pass up!)

3. mariannukka thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, my benchmark in geekbench 2 is: 3956 (iMac)

Would anyone please send their geekbench scores?

Thank you!

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

11016 for my 15" Macbook Pro 2011

5. mariannukka thread starter macrumors newbie

0___0

6. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

The low end 15" GPU is not much better than the integrated solution. Since you play lots of games go for high end.

If it makes you feel any better, my 1 year old MB gets 3390

7. mariannukka thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all your advice! I have sollicitated for a small job in a restaurant, with that salary I will be able to gather the extra 400 euros in about 3-4 months.

Will be worth it! :D:D:D

8. mariannukka thread starter macrumors newbie

whoops... i didn't get accepted for my job...

Anyhow, how much better (percentage or so) is my current 8800 GS with 512MB memory versus the AMD Radeon HD 6490m with 256MB of GDDR5 memory of the lower end 15"?