iMac to Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iKristen, Jan 13, 2010.

1. iKristen macrumors member

I am getting a Macbook Pro this friday!

I already have an iMac, and plan on selling it, but I need to know how to transfer all my files to the macbook, so I wont lose anything. It's just pictures and music not a lot of stuff. Would I just share over the wireless or would I need to do something else? Thanks in advance, appreciate it.

2. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

I believe you can use an Ethernet Cable or a Firewire cable to use Migration assistant.

Basically when you first get your MacBook Pro and go through the setup it will ask you if you have an older Mac that you would like to Migrate to your new Mac. You then plug the cable in and start up Migration Assistant on your iMac (it is in Applications -> Utilities). You then select that this is your old mac and that you are migrating to a new mac and then go get a coffee while your Macs trade data.

It's that simple.

3. iKristen thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for that, sounds rather simple.

4. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Yea APL made it fairly simple on the user to upgrade, your data will go pretty fast, enjoy your new machine.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You can also do it later on using the Migration Assistant (which is in your Applications -> Utilities). You can actually transfer everything from your iMac, so much so that your MBP will be identical to you iMac. Pretty neat.

6. robj macrumors regular

Ok, this isn't a answer to your question but, buying a MBP now is completely an insane thing!

Everyone is talking about the new MB Pros which are very probably going to unveil latter this month.

Why not wait to buy some of them? :)

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Do you honestly need more power? Not for geekery, but real usage. Maybe the OP got a good deal for the MBP.

8. robj macrumors regular

I think pretty much like you, indeed I have bought a MBP in late November 2009 and I'm not going crazy with the next update. Previously I had a white 2007 Macbook and I don't pretty much notice the difference between white one and the new MBP for all my common tasks.

However, if I would be going to buy one right now I would wait, because if I wait only two weeks I could spend the same money in a newer model :)

If he got a good deal, that's another story, and maybe it's worth picking one right now

9. iKristen thread starter macrumors member

I got my MBP half off because a friend of mine works at Best Buy in ATL she was flying down here, so I took advantage of the deal.

10. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

YOU LIE!

11. iKristen thread starter macrumors member

How is it a lie? lol