iMac to printer connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ester N, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Ester N macrumors newbie

Hi,

Would greatly appreciate some advice.

Hp printer that used to work fine is now not working properly with regard to the computer (Mac OSx) Printer by itself photocopies and scans, but when I try to send something to it from the computer I just get 'error' on the printing status. Also I can't open the printer utility.

Tried all the usual uninstall, reinstall, reset printing system, unplug stuff.

What could be wrong????

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You should ask yourself first, is the Printer compatible with my OS X version.

What OS X version do you have, are there printer drivers compatible with this version, did you update your OS X to a higher one(Example: 10.6 to 10.8).

Is the Cable still connected, is the cable a good one, is the printer working on another computer and so on.

3. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I've got a Mac OSx 10.6.8 - which the printer has worked fine with for nearly two years, so yeah it's all compatible and things and the cable is fine.

I've not got another computer to try the printer out on unfortunately.

I can instruct the printer to scan things from the computer, but when it comes to print it - error.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Just had to be sure so I asked those questions.

Since nothing changed in Hardware or Software you have OS issues.

First thing I recommend is to log into another User Account, if you don't have one create one in System Preferences and login into that account, if you are able to print there your normal User Account has issues and we go from there.
    If it does not work either it is system wide.
    Repair permissions clears things out sometimes and it just takes a few minutes.

7. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help.

I created a new user account and the problem exists in there too.

Also tried the repair permissions, but it's still the same.

Oh dear - anything else i could try?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The thing is, you/we don't know if it is the OS or the printer, most of the time a test on another Computer will rule out the printer is the problem if it works there.
    Without a test on another Computer we can just guess for now.

You don't happen to have windows on your iMac do you, if so you could try there.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

reinstall the driver set from the HP support page.

10. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

Mmmm - yes, I see what you are saying about printer versus computer. No, I don't have windows on here. What about using time machine to restore the system to before the problem? I've never done that on a Mac so don't know if it's possible - when I looked at doing it, the notification was that I would erase the hard drive by doing it.

Reinstall the driver set - will look into that - thanks.

----------

No driver sets for Mac!

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

In your initial Post you already said you reinstalled the software so looking for drivers on HP's site does not make sense, you could check Software Update but I am pretty sure there will be none.

If I were you I would not do the TimeMachine restore just yet, you just don't know if it solves the problem, what if it is the printer and not OS X.

I know you don't have a PC but Family/Friends might have.

There is another option but it involves a bit of work and you need a USB stick of minimum 8 GB.
    If you have one available install OS X on the USB and then startup from it, Install the Printers software and look if it works there, if not then most likely the printer has problems.

12. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

How nice to know so much about computers - good for you!

I'm gonna take the printer to install it on another computer today so will see what happens - will know for sure then which has the problem. Will let you know - thanks for your help :)

13. Ester N thread starter macrumors newbie

Printer is fine on another computer - so the issue is with this computer. Any advice on what I could do next?
    Thanks.