iMac, to sleep or not to sleep?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FurryFoxMacuser, Oct 19, 2011.

1. FurryFoxMacuser macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

I just bought a new iMac and was wondering, should I put it in sleep mode each night instead of shutting it down? Will it hurt anything if I shut it down instead of putting it in sleep mode? I'm only asking because it says in the manual that if I'm going to be away from it for a few days then shut it down but otherwise it may be a good option to put it in sleep mode when not in use. Thanks

-Dan

2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

My iMac is put to sleep between uses, at night and during the day while we are at work/school.

The only time she gets shut down is during an electrical storm (plus unplugged).

I've had zero problems with this method so far and I love having an "always on" computer I can come to.

3. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

Mine just stays on 24/7. That won't hurt it will it? If I put it to sleep then want to watch something on the Apple TV will the Apple TV wake it up?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It won't hurt it at all. If you have "wake for network access" checked in the energy pref pane the ATV should wake it up for access.

5. Technobable macrumors newbie

I'm another one that only puts it to sleep. I only restart after updates, or new app installs (depending on the app).

6. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I turn my screen off and spin down the drives but I don't do a true sleep because it is connected via Wi-Fi and I can't access it remotely if its asleep.