iMac -- To wait or not to wait . . .

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jwp333, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. jwp333 macrumors member

    Apr 24, 2006
    I hoped for a new iMac with Leopard. I saved up my money. I was ready to wait until June if need be. Now I hear today's announcement regarding Leopard. I have a first generation iMac G4 that gets the job done, but I'd like something new. The alleged upcoming change in the iMac's form factor makes me want to continue my wait at least till they come out. How many are in my boat? What are you going to do?
  2. EngBrian macrumors regular

    Feb 7, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am in the same boat. Still needed to save a bit more money but hopefully would have been ready by June. At this point I will likely be going ahead sans Leopard and upgrading In october or november. I also want to take advantage of the likely free ipod promo for students. Hopefully if i wait long enough into the summer i can get a free upgrade coupon or something as well.
  3. levitynyc macrumors 65816

    Aug 19, 2006
    Just buy the damn thing. I have a 24 inch imac and it awesome!
  4. akadmon Suspended

    Aug 30, 2006
    New England
  5. iW00t macrumors 68040


    Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    Since you already have an existing computer that works when keep lusting after something new and tormenting yourself?

    It works, use it, when the new ones are out it is easier then to justify your decision.
  6. Sargiel macrumors member

    Jan 2, 2005
    West Sussex, England
    I've just recently bought and received (yesterday :) ) a new imac 24" and it's an amazing system. If you are feeling the need to upgrade already I don't think it's worth waiting 6 months + for it to ship with Leopord.
  7. KershMan macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2003
    VA, USA
    I just bought a 17" iMac to replace my first gen Mac Mini. Bought the 17" and will extend the desktop out to a 20" ACD that was hooked up to the Mac Mini.

    I was kicking this around for a while, and with Leopard's delay there was no reason to wait any longer.
  8. viperguy macrumors 6502


    Nov 3, 2005
    You said that the system you're using now does the job... so why not wait for a while and (maybe) get a completely new and redesigned system that probably might ship with Leopard, the new iLife and the trial for iWork?
    I'd wait :D
  9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816


    Sep 27, 2006
    Keep your G4 until it dies, (I love the G4's design by the way...) and then buy an iMac because you will need it.
  10. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    Just wait. Everyone says not to wait but you know updates are imminent. Dont wait for leopard, but you know the current iMac line is comming to an end. Im not saying wait forever, but its pointless to buy tech that you know is about to be replaced very very soon. So Just buy as soon as the updates come... and everything will be all good.
  11. Vidd macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    I'm in the same situation and I'm beginning to think there's some sort of cathartic side to some of these threads rather than asking for advice. :p

    The G4 design's much cooler anyway, but we don't know when they're upgrading this one.
    I think it's more of a matter of waiting for a speed increase, although it would have made sense for them to plan a significant upgrade along with Leopard so that could lend some credence to that rumour. They wouldn't delay it just to stick to a dual-release, though.

    What size screen are you using now?
  12. iperson macrumors newbie

    Feb 23, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I've been in the market for a 24 for quite some time now. I was waiting for June and upgraded hardware and the new OS, but now I don't know. I almost ran out and bought one when I heard the bad news today until I remembered that often the first versions of new hardware with new chips that Apple puts out often have some problems (like the g5 imacs I keep hearing about). Maybe for me and my uses a current 24 will turn out to be just the ticket. I absolutely HATE looking at this laptop screen.

    When I bought my G3 ibook 500, it was the best ibook they had. 2 months later, the 600, 800, etc. Then the g4 ibook, tibook, and on and on. Really, the only win in this situation is to buy what you want and enjoy it for waht it is. A new Mac!

    Ah, hell. I'm going to do it tomorrow. A base model with 2 gb ram will put a big smile on my face for sure. Oh yes...
  13. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    The 24" iMac is such a good computer that Santa Rosa won't make it much better. Buy now. As for the 20", like mine, it could use a GPU update, but it is good enough. I beat Quake 4, Prey, COD 2, and countless other games on very good settings. Games were a trend for me - I don't really care about my GPU being slightly underpowered anoymore.
  14. fall3n macrumors 6502

    Aug 17, 2006
    Just buy it. I love my 24". Enjoy it, then buy leopard when it comes out. It's only 200 bux
  15. TheGlenn macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2007
    My situation is similar so I thought i'd share your thread

    I have a 98 dell on dial up . I thought it would be neat to update my computer with all the neat things you can do on them now . I played around with the 20 inch imac & liked it alot . So much that I really think i'm going to get one . I guess my question is for home use is there going to be much difference between the imac out now as compared to the next one in line for the 20"er. Microcenter has them discounted 150 bucks . Also will Leopard run the same or close . I truly am blown away by the secrecy & guessing games . My computer now is only good for checking pictureless emails . I can't even bring up a web page but I will wait if I need to . I hope I don't come across as an idiot . Any help would be appeciated .
  16. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 2, 2003
    I would certainly NOT wait based on the new operating system. The first release of Leopard is going to be riddled with bugs and incompatibilities, as they always are. So, your true ability to use Leopard is not going to occur until months after the initial release. I try never to buy the first version of a new OS or the first iteration of a hardware release. For example, there's many obvious ways the Apple TV can be improved, and I have no doubt you'll soon see an Apple TV that can show your iMovies, etc - so I'm waiting on that. But with the iMac, you've got a stable product whose only real changes in years have been monitor size and the switch to intel. I have an iMac G5, about 2-1/2 years old, and it works like a charm. I don't anticipate even wanting a new machine for at least another year or two, and even then if they manage to come up with a way to swap in an intel processor, I'd do that. (Currently there's none.)

  17. Piepz macrumors member

    Feb 7, 2007
    Riga, Latvia
    Buy it!

    There's nothing they can really upgrade to iMac (except the GPU).. Santa Rosa will come only in May 9 or so and it will take a while when Apple will put it in their Macs (see how long it took for Mac Pro to get Quad processor x2 (octo core) ?)

    All I know that I'm buying my first Mac ever (20" iMac) in two weeks! :D :apple:
  18. &RU macrumors member

    Mar 5, 2004
    I am in the same boat.

    The G4 models are a thing of beauty - the best computer purchase I've ever made - but they are getting a little long in the tooth compared to the new iMacs. Unfortunately, the G5/Intel enclosure just doesn't have the same appeal visually or ergonomically. Hold on to your G4. Squeeze that last bit of moneys worth out of it until October, then you can get a new OS and the new (rumored) iMac enclosure!
  19. TheGlenn macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2007
    DAVE00 - Thanks for your advice . IF was your message was the guys thread I have hijacked I'm sure he is appreciative as well.
  20. fall3n macrumors 6502

    Aug 17, 2006
    Leopard isn't going to really have that much amazing software for a user like yourself. There may be the new series of iLife, but there's so much you can do with the current stuff anyway. One thing I should mention is that you say there's a store with a $150 discount on the current 20" model. Usually when this happens it means a new update is coming out very soon. At least from my experience at working at a retail computer store with Apple, that was 2 years ago though. I say go for it, compared to your system now you'll be seeing a whole new world, so you really don't need to wait for the latest and greatest as anything you get now will be amazing.
  21. TheGlenn macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2007
    fall3n, I appreciate the advice . I think Apple itself is offering a 150 dollar rebate as well as microcenter . With the amount of money that is spent I just want to make sure I get as much life & enjoyment out of it as possible . Thank you
  22. Italchef macrumors 6502

    Nov 3, 2003
    Maple, Ontario
    I've been waiting patiently for a new iMac since Christmas! I have a G4 which I love, but I do some editing of video and photographs and my baby just can't keep up anymore. I really like to test my system and have several apps open and on the go, and it really bogs down at times. The G4 will become the family/kids machine in the living room. I have the network all set up and ready to go, airport extreme in place, extreme card in my G4. I'm just waiting for the new iMacs! I don't really even care about a new design; I'm all about a speed bump, new price etc.
    Now, I've waited this long, I suppose I can wait another 4 months. Honestly though this has become a bit ridiculous. Come on guys, iWant.

  23. fall3n macrumors 6502

    Aug 17, 2006
    Ah, I guarantee you will get much life & enjoyment out of it. Sure, you can wait, but you really won't notice much difference, I guarantee that as well. Plus right now with $150 off, that's amazing! Apple rarely ever gives discounts.
  24. jwp333 thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 24, 2006
    Thanks for the input from all of you. I'm leaning towards waiting a while longer, not necessarily for Leopard.

    It was mentioned in the reply by one poster that Apple has a $150 discount on the iMac. I don't see it at the Apple Store. The retailer mentioned with the $150 rebate is one that I have not heard of before or dealt with. Any opinions on them?
  25. Mr. Burns macrumors newbie

    Mar 22, 2007
    Madison, WI
    The comp in my signature is too slow to enjoy WoW, and my impression is that Oblivion runs with some slow down on even the fastest iMac 24" based on the reading I've done here. I am hoping to wait for updates soon after Santa Rosa (I can't imagine we'll see those until around WWDC). Sounds like it will handle the latest popular games a lot better, which may not be important to others, but it is to me. I am also hoping for a form factor change as the side slot for the disk drive is hard to work with on a corner desk with shelving. We'll see. Might have to start thinking Mac/Book Pro. Btw, I've been pacing the refurb site for a good month now every afternoon after work, and after the announced delay the pages are nearly empty every time I go there. Looks like lots of people have already made their decision. I'm waiting til' next hardware update, but a 24" iMac would not be a waste of my money (I'd just have to get a new desk).

    The Comp USA in Madison was selling iMacs at a discount recently. I don't know for sure if that is related to inventory changes coming. My impression is that retail stores don't know anymore than we do as to release dates, given my quest to find a Wii (found it 15 min after it had been delivered). Unless they're given promo packages instructing them on what's coming up, I believe that they are just trying to keep inventory moving. You don't make money on anything that sits on a shelf.

Share This Page