iMac Tomorrow :)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeMgoo89, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MikeMgoo89 macrumors newbie

Tomorrow my new 27'' iMac will be delivered according to UPS tracker! Very excited about getting it, but also strangely sad that this will be the last time i use my trusty 4yr old PC as my main computer! I'll be transferring my media onto my new mac, then dismantling my PC into parts for my brothers new gaming PC.
    Ive been reading this forum everyday since the start of the year but never posted. Always wanted to wait until i am a Mac owner, and excited that i will be in less than 24 hours. No more slowdowns, viruses, malware, crashes or lockups :)

I have ordered the BTO option with the 2gb 6970 and the Magic Trackpad, along with the Apple battery charger and Apple Care, all for under £1600! Glad my gf is a uni student!

Looking forward to learning a new OS, especially Lion in a few weeks :)

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Congrats! I assume you mean "our" Mac as your gf is the student?!

You know UK students get a free 3 year warranty when they buy online? No need to buy AppleCare for that. You could phone Apple and ask to return that and save yourselves another £50.

3. MikeMgoo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i did hear that, but apparently its not got the same level of protection as Apple Care? And yes i do mean 'our', however im going to hog it haha

4. iStudentUK, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The hardware warranty is the same, except it may not be worldwide or transferable (it's not clear). You can phone Apple as usual and they will pick it up, or you can take it into the store. All they do is check the serial number to get the expiry date, so really the student warranty will be no different to AppleCare if there is a hardware fault.

The main difference is AppleCare gives you 3 years of phone support for software issues, the student warranty gives you 1 year.

I made a detailed thread on UK education discounts here.

5. Theydonboi macrumors member

Out of interest MikeMgoo89, how soon did you know an exact day for delivery? I'm going to order one in the next week or so, but am going to need to take some time off work so I can be at home for delivery. I don't really want to pay extra for Saturday delivery and taking time off at short notice is a bit tricky at my company.

6. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Whilst I believe the hardware warranty is the same having Applecare is good for resale value - for the iMac it is heavily discounted on the education store so it only costs £38.00 which is good value. Also, I consider myself very computer literate but a while ago my previous iMac had a OSX problem (basically it lost all reference to the user accounts on the computer and you couldn't login at all) this I required an hour long phone call with one of their senior support guys.

7. MikeMgoo89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple will send you a confrimation/thankyou email when you have bought it, and in that email will be an order tracker. When your order has been dispatched to the courier (mine was UPS) they have there own tracking number for use on their website. My sheduled delivery from Apple was 4th July, and the delivery date was updated. My iMac got delivered yesterday.

Love OSX!

8. dgr macrumors member

hmmmm.....mine is July 7th, maybe it will get pushed up.

9. ryu3000 macrumors member

ryu3000

Mine says July 7th as well. We can see which one is first. :cool:

10. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Apple tend to over estimate their deliveries - for example my latest iMac was delivered a full 5 days ahead of schedule. Also, don't worry if, when it first ships, you can't accurately track it - in the UK at least they ship them to a UK Distribution Centre, until it arrives there the courier tracking is pretty useless. It's only when your iMac ships from the UK Distribution centre to your home address, generally the day before final delivery, that you can properly track it on the UPS website.

Another tip, track your delivery via the US Apple Store, you get additional information and it seems to update ahead of the UK portal. Be warned, when the US Store reports "Prepared For Shipment" it can stay on this status for 2-3 days.

11. mig991 macrumors newbie

mig991

I just purchased mine yesterday and have been up all night reading.

Sooo tired of my PC crashing and running slow, I just said whatever I am doing it and went to the Apple store. Only negative so far has been having to purchase software to xfer my extensive itunes music and movie library from my IPOD. But as easy as it was $19.95 (IRip) was a slight price to pay. :)

My main confusion has been simple things like resizing windows and using the shortcut keys to get places. I am sure I will adapt. Still cant figure out if there is a 'home' and 'end' key equivalent on a Mac. Oh well, signed up here cause I am sure I will need the help.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Enjoy it man, and if you don't enjoy it, stick Windows on it! Great computer, I got mine a week ago and couldn't be happier with it.

13. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

I used to use home and end a lot during typing, command + arrow keys do the job now :)

14. dgr macrumors member

I'm not far away from you....in the west suburbs

15. iwan073 macrumors regular

iwan073

Congrats MikeMgoo89. I hope you enjoy it.
    I got mine 11 days ago, and I am sooo in love with it :D

16. bushman4 macrumors 68000

APPLE has some great Workshops that will be helpful. Also you can sign up for "One on One" which is $99 for one year and is useful for us newbies. With one on one you sign up for a personal 1 hour session and ask all the questions you want and an Apple associate will answer you.

17. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

This is why we need to enjoy every moment in life, and don't take anything for granted. Your girlfriend should feel very appreciated with the wonderful news of your computer delivery. :)

18. mankymanning macrumors regular

I can recommend OSX The Missing Manual - a great book which helpe me with the transition from Windows.