iMac too hot to touch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by big.birdd, Nov 18, 2007.

1. big.birdd macrumors member

big.birdd

hey guys, yesterday i posted about my hot iMac, and now with a bit of hard work its even hotter.. here are some istat stats
    all measurements are in celcius
    GPU A 61C
    GPU 67C
    GPU diode 71C
    GPU heatsink 70C
    Ambient 29C
    Memory control 60C
    Airport Card 70C
    HD bay 1 58C

thanks for you advice guys!

2. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

Don't know 'bout the GPU, it's probably designed to take some heat, but the other temps
    seem awfully high. Most HD's have a maximum operating temp of 55C-60C -- so 58C is
    reason for real concern. Commercial-grade ICs are also typically spec'd for 60C max.

Are the fans running near full speed? If not, have you tried smcFanControl?
    (I didn't catch your earlier posting.)

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

...ouch! and it's only springtime down under,

LK

3. big.birdd thread starter macrumors member

big.birdd

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I see your ambient is at 29C and that's HOT.

Granted it's early winter here in Japan so my ambient is right around 19-20c but my other temps are about half of yours.

Currently:

CPU A: 33c
    GPU: 45c
    GPU Diode: 45c
    GPU Heatsink: 44c

Even in the summer here I wasn't running at your temps and my room got awfully hot as well, sometimes topping 30c.

What does iStat read for your fan speeds?

Here's what I'm getting:

CPU Fan: 1199 rpm
    Hard Drive: 1198 rpm
    Optical Drive: 698 rpm

5. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Hi,
    I think you need a little hatch on the back to shovel in the dry ice!!

Seriously though, is your ambient temp really 29C or is your machine in an enclosed space where it is perhaps breathing in its own exhaust? As you are probably aware the iMac takes in cool air at the bottom and circulates it partially by convection and pertially by fan up and out at the slot on the back cover. If you have the machine boxed in (not uncommon) then the hot air might be circulating back underneath and into the inlet again.

Check if ambient really is 29C using a thermometer if possible and/or try siting the machine on a table in the middle of the room and see if temps drop.

Failing that I would try to get a statement from apple as to what the maximum ambient temperature should be for the iMac to ensure that you are not in breach of your warranty. Most computer server equipment that I have come across usually has a max ambient temp of around 30C but even then most servers are kept in an air conditioned room. I've never seen an ambient limit for domestic equipment.

If they say that 29C ambient is okay then you can ask them if the other temps are acceptable.

Hope this helps,
    Craig.

6. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Your temps are nothing to worry about, and obviously they're going to rocket under heavy load.

My old PC used to have an ambient temp of 40C under load and a CPU temp of 70.

Some people love to keep checking their temperatures and worry for the sake of it. If it was a home built PC experiencing freezes, then fair enough.

7. big.birdd thread starter macrumors member

big.birdd

my imac really isnt boxed in

my imac really isnt boxed in, its istting 18 inches from any wall with lots of space everywhere...