iMac too slow to play High Definition video?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smwatson, Sep 3, 2008.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

I've just tried to play a 720p High-Def rip of Finding Nemo on my iMac, but the film stutters and VLC reports the error that there's "more than 5 seconds of film missing, computer too slow?".

So basically, is my computer too slow? :p

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

sounds like its something wrong with your "ripped" finding nemo. what kind of file is it? you could also try downloading a movie trailer from apple in hd and see how that runs. apple.com/trailers

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I don't know the graphic card on your iMac so I can only offer you the system recommendations for HD playback.

4. Tourist macrumors member

If the machine you are talking about is the G5 iMac in your sig, than Yip, it is too slow,

You really need a dual G5 mac Pro min for HD,

I had a white G5 like you (128MB Graphics Card) and it would stutter on small 720P HD trailers, so for a full movie would be majorly underpowered, but It should fly on your macbook?

I upgraded to a new Alu 2.8Ghz Intel iMac last month and HD simply flies,

5. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

That's ok then, I'll play on my Macbook. Sorted.

Cheers :apple:

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

He can play 480p videos just fine. Hell, my eMac can do that.

7. gabizou macrumors newbie

What do you mean?

Well, what we mean by HD is like 720p or 1080p, that stuff is difficult to process. Heck, even my PowerMac G5 (dual 2.5 with 256 MB) is having some difficulties with the 1080p non ripped movies (from ZML). But the 480p is the most basic. I'm thinking of switching my g5 tower to get a new mac pro. That should be better.:)

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Even a Mini can play 1080p, provided it's using the right software (and it aint VLC).

9. Crown16 macrumors regular

what software would you recommend... cause vlc is the best player i know of for mac... plays almost anything:p just stutters with HD indeed. for HD i use Mplayer which still stutters but less then vlc

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

If you're on 10.5, Plex or XBMC. If you're on 10.4, XBMC. Both are essentially the same app, but smoke VLC. I routinely play Blu-Ray rips with a 2 gHz C2D Mini. No dropped frames, even at 30 mbps 1080p with DD or DTS audio.