Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
I was thinking, is the iMac sport a "true" glossy display, or just a glass/plastic protection. On the pictures, it seems like the glass is just here so the display does not seem "pushed" inside the computer.

Therefore, it seems to me the iMac doesn't feature a "true" glossy display, taking out the color nightmare for graphics people.

Well, that's me hoping. I need one for school next year, and I don't want to HAVE TO hook up my 23" to it.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I am sorry if this creates a Thread war:

I did a lot of research on MBP's and glossy screens since I am film maker I really wanted true colors for what I was editing for (when I can't afford true color correcting), but I also liked the idea of being able to watch a movie with the Glossy screen instead of the Matte.

So I researched and researched. I found pointless answers and threads upon threads of people battling out which one was better.

At the point of almost giving up and just "picking what I felt I would like best," I stumbled across a website (which I don't remember, so there goes my rep) that explained how the Matte screen is awesome because it is the true colors, and the glossy screen is awesome because of the vibrance (or however it makes it better). They then made the comment that the calibrated the glossy screen and ended up with true colors as well.

So I imagine that even if it is True glossy, you will be able to go and calibrate to make it have the true color.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Following your advice, I searched for thread in the intraweb (which I should have done in the first place), and came up with THIS.

It's DP review, so I suspect the guys know a tad what they're on about.

This iMac seems sexier and sexier every minute...:)

urbanskywalker

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2007
long ago all monitors were glossy. Remember crt's had glass an graphics professionals seemed to make out o.k.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
Following your advice, I searched for thread in the intraweb (which I should have done in the first place), and came up with THIS.

It's DP review, so I suspect the guys know a tad what they're on about.

This iMac seems sexier and sexier every minute...:)

DPReviews said:
But -- looking at the same photos side by side on my calibrated 23" Cinema Display and the MacBook looks pretty much identical. That is if you are in good alignment with the MacBook screen!!

The devil is in the details really, "pretty much identical".

I owned a MacBook, and currently own a MacBook Pro as well as a fairly decent 2080UX+ monitor. No way does a Macbook come close to a decent DP monitor, it just does not have that colour range.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
long ago all monitors were glossy. Remember crt's had glass an graphics professionals seemed to make out o.k.

Alright, that's what I thought, like the eMac for example. Before the intel iMac came out, everyone had and USED eMacs in studios, so I guess they were "OK".

I'm all in. I think I'll just pull the trigger. :)

speedballs

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2004
SLC Utah
If people REALLY care about color they wouldn't even get an Apple display, especially an iMac. For designing on the web it will be fine since nobody's screen looks the same. For print it should be decent. But anyone who needs to see a 1-2% difference in Curves in PS won't be able to use it and have much accuracy anyways.
The pictures look great on screen, but it's not what you're going to get from a printer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.