iMac turns itself off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lisamel, May 9, 2010.

1. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!

I have had my iMac since 2007 I think and in the last 3 months it has started to just turn itself off and it wont come back on for hours. The first time it happened I was just writing something using Pages. The second time I was using iPhoto. And yesterday I was importing a videoclip from my camera. The iMac just switches off and I couldnt turn it back on until this morning. And when I did I started the importing again, and after about 20 minutes it was off again and I cant turn it back on now either. It has probably gone about 3 hours or so.

The first time it happened I took it down to an Apple reseller store but when they tried to turn it on it worked so they said that they could take it in and have a look, but if nothing was wrong with it I had to pay for it.

Now I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do? Clean it or something?

I will try to call the apple reseller tomorrow and see what I should do. It has in been in for repair once before to fix the power supply unit.

Thank you

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like PSU or logic board issue... Try resetting PRAM and SMC

3. lisamel thread starter macrumors regular

lisamel

Thank you. I tried the SMC one, but I still cannot turn it on, so I cant try the PRAM one but will do later if it will turn on :)