iMac turns on by itself.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flipshot, Mar 7, 2008.

1. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have a problem with my iMac turning itself on occasionally. It doesn't happen everyday but now and again it will turn on by itself. It always happens at 7am/8am when it does happen.

I have checked System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule but the startup or wake option is not ticked and the time is set as 0:00.

Does anyone know how I can stop my iMac turning itself on? I can't think of any hardware thats causing it all I have connected is my external hard drive and printer as well as the usual mouse and keyboard.

Thanks
    Craig

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You may have a chron job or other software setting the EFI on time. I'd reinstall the OS and see it that fixes it. Is the system set to "restart after power loss"?

TEG

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You could reset the PRAM and see if it continues. To do it press Command, Option, P, and R on booting your computer.

If that doesn't work try removing the your peripherals as they may be causing it.

edit:

Dont you think that is a bit much to suggest as a first port of call.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've see this before with someone writing chron jobs on someones system. We couldn't find exactly where it was, so Reinstalling the OS was just faster.

TEG

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've seen it before where it is just a PRAM issue.

Resetting the PRAM takes about 2 minutes, worth trying before reinstalling the OS ~2 hours. At this stage it seems like a sledge hammer to a nut.

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

My Mac Pro has the same issues, but it starts itself at midnight! Thats damn annoying when the machine has to be in the same room that you sleep in. Also my MacBook Pro tried to read the CD drive at midnight too. Something not quite right with those systems I think. Anyway it teaches me to fully turn-off (i.e. at the wall) my Mac Pro.

7. 156457 macrumors 6502

I had this problem with my iMac the other night (I also got in from school to see it was on last week) where it had woken from sleep itself. Coincidently, we're having router problems at the moment so I was fishing around in the security log and at 01:42 there was a log of "Sending ACK to 192.168.2.5" which is my iMacs IP address on the network, there was also one for 14:02, so I assumed it was my router sending it's ACK, whatever it is, via the Ethernet cable to my iMac.