iMac turns on by itself

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JeffMonty, Aug 11, 2008.

1. JeffMonty macrumors member

The past 2 or 3 nights, my computer has turned on by itself, right at 8pm. I checked my 'energy saver' settings and I only have it set to sleep at 11pm (it's not set to turn on automatically at all.) The only thing that has changed on my computer recently (about 2 or 3 days ago) was I installed a trial of VMWare Fusion.
    I checked console and it says something about VMWare starting at 8:00:24.
    Anyone have any ideas? / Is there a way to fix this?

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Is this VMware 1.x or the beta builds of VMware 2?

4. JeffMonty thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it's version 1.1.3 that I installed (directly from the vmware site) I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling it though.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Open up the Console application and check you Mac's log to see if it shows any particular application doing anything right after the mac auto starts itself.

6. G4DP macrumors 65816

My Mac Pro Early 2008 has done this once. It was only once but happened at 2am 3 nights ago. Very odd, hasn't done it since. Haven't gone near the Energy Saver preferences etc.

Just one of those random quirks I suppose.

7. siorai macrumors 6502

Oddly enough, about three nights ago, mine did the same thing. Although for me it was at about 4am Pacific.

8. pianoman181 macrumors regular

Do you have your computer set to shutdown at any particular time? At my place of work, we have encountered a bug in leopard where even if you have the auto-startup disabled... it sets the startup time to 00:00(GMT).... which equates to 8PM EDT... the only work-around we have found was to either reinstall or set a convenient startup time.

9. JeffMonty thread starter macrumors member

so I uninstalled vmware, canceled the 'sleep at 11pm every week night' under energy saver settings, and checked into console but the events right around 8pm (when it turns on) keep changing, there doesn't seem to be a pattern. Think I may just call Apple on Friday and see what they say about it. Any other suggestions?