iMac update 2012 question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by StickmanFTW, Aug 11, 2012.

1. StickmanFTW macrumors newbie

Will the updated iMac cost more than the current gen?

Is the update worth waiting for? I don't want to pay for an arm and a leg for a retina display. Will the hardware updates be worth it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It will probably not increase in price, but who knows. Questions of "worth" are entirely subjective. Since nobody knows what hardware improvements will be included, it's kind of a pointless question anyway.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Even though it might only be an incremental upgrade over the current generation and most likely start at the same price for the introductory model considering what's on the market now and what Apple has been able to do with the rMBP, I would say that whenever they do release an updated model that it will be worth the wait and definitely worth the wait if you currently own an older iMac. However, If I was able to upgrade now, I would be more than satisfied with the current models and I would just max out the RAM and enjoy the quad-core and GPU(which are all better upgrades over my 2009 iMac).

4. JaroslavS macrumors newbie

I think it will be a bit more expensive but not much...

Price of old ones will decrease and new ones` price will be a bit higher.

5. n0cus macrumors 6502

Price will be the same, and it is worth the wait because Apple will update it to their current OS till 2017 vs. 2016 on their current model.

6. mcpix macrumors regular

I think the price will stay the same.

Although the current iMacs are great machines, at this point I think I would hold out just a little longer for the next generation.

It may just be a spec bump with USB 3.0, but if the GPU is significantly better and it has an anti-glare screen, I think it's worth the wait.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

I think usb 3.0 would be nice, but don't they make a TB-USB 3.0 adapter?

8. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I should be the same price-all of Apple's updates are the same price or (in the MBA's case) get cheaper.

9. alias99 macrumors regular

I only know of the Belkin one. Not out yet but will costs $400 so might as well just upgrade your mac and enjoy the other features. (assuming you have a new model with a good resale value).

10. StickmanFTW thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any iMac now, just a PC that's slowly dying. It's usable for now and it will probably last til October, but it's tax-free weekend in Mass and I can save at least $100 if I buy it now. Any more advice?

11. StickmanFTW thread starter macrumors newbie

Couple more questions:
    1. How much better will the rumored new processor be?
    2. Is the graphics card in the current 22in iMac good? I don't plan on doing anything graphics intensive.

12. RedCroissant Suspended

1. No idea.
    2. If you're not going to be doing things that are graphics intensive, then the graphics card doesn't matter all that much and I would recommend buying a current generation iMac. As an example, my 2009 iMac has a GeForce 9400M GPU that shares memory. The current generation have GPUs that have their own dedicated memory. The reason I bring this up is because I have used my iMac for Geektool, using skecthbookPro, iMovie, Gimp, and the GPU hasn't really been that important. So the basic version should be more than enough for your needs. Although you can currently get a refurbished 27" model for a lot less than the retail price. Here's one that I would buy if I had the money.

$1,659 +tax =$1,813.29
    Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program

Originally released May 2011
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics with 1GB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera