iMac Update for MWSF 08 or later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JEE-Magician, Dec 2, 2007.

1. JEE-Magician macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying an iMac and have been waiting for about a year. First for Leopard and now for some better graphics and maybe a Penryn update.

I have looked at the buyer's guide for the iMac and MWSF would generally place the iMac at the end of its update cycle, but many people in the MacWorld 2008 Predictions thread seem much more interested in everything else Apple may update or release.

From what I'm able to tell it doesn't appear that Apple like to stack the updates too close together. It looks like apple has a recurring autumn update after their back to school promotion ends in order to clean out inventory.

So if Apple doesn't do a refresh for the iMac at MWSF then when would any of you think the next update would be? Do you think the mobile Penryns will be released to apple in time to refresh the iMac for MWSF?

By the way, when I eventually get this system I suppose you'd be able to label me a switcher.

2. sndcj1 macrumors member

Well, I played the waiting game on the new iMacs for about 9 months. I had decided that I would buy the next revision that comes out... in mid December last year. Well, I did, in fact, buy the next revision (and I love it btw), but I waited many many many months. Time spent scouring this, and other, websites, looking for some hint that the new processor was shipping, that somebody has the new design pictures, that, that, that... Well, I do like the computer I have, but you can NOT judge the release of the new machine on anything. I'm not going to say don't wait, just be prepared to wait longer than you thought you were if you choose to wait.

'Course there is always the flip side of the coin, when I bought my inlaws their iMac, I purchased it, and before it even got here, they had released a new model (iSight G5), so I returned it unopened, and got the new one. About 2 months after that, core duo was released. 3 new imac models within about 7 months, didn't see that one comming either...:rolleyes:

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

With the new Penryn mobile processors due in January, the MBPs and iMacs look to be destined for updates in the first few months of 2008. Unless you need in the next month or two, I would wait.

4. Particular macrumors member

iMac's are a safe purchase don't expect anything significant over the next several months. Maybe Penryn, but that is a minor update, for Intel processors the big next mobile update comes after Penryn.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

What makes you say this?

Does no one remember what happened with the iMacs not so long ago? The G5 iSight was released in September 2005 and then only a few months later at MacWorld in January, Apple released a new iMac line with the first Intel chips.

There is every possibility the iMacs could see a refresh at MacWorld in January.

David

6. je1ani macrumors 6502

If this is true I will put mine on ebay :D

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

With the way notebook sales are now, the mobile penryn processors are likely to be huge demand and I would expect Apple to put them in the MBP first with the way the current market is if there is limited supply.

8. Particular macrumors member

Their is nothing revolutionary in the wings for Apples iMacs don't let this persons out of context example make you think otherwise. iMacs are a safe purchase. MacBooks and MacBook Pro's despite being recently updated are not. We have seen a lot of patents filed by Apple and rumors that all point to something major happening in this area of apple's product lineup (mobile computers).

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Pardon me for saying so but I think that was an entirely different kettle of fish. Apple completely switched processors in their entire computer product line in January, 2006. It was not so much an announcement of a new iMac line as a new era for ALL of their computers.

Also, if you will recall the first Intel iMacs were pretty much identical in appearance to the their G5 predecessors. My first iMac was an early 2006 20" Core Duo so I know of what I speak.

I don't think you will see any iMac changes at MacWorld whatsoever.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The move to Intel wasn't exactly a secret.

11. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Don't expect iMac Penryn updates until Spring. My money would be March to May. late-February is possible but I would be surprised. June as well but I doubt that late. March or April would be a good bet.

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I didn't say it was guaranteed. I said it is possible, and it is. The example I gave was not out of context at all.

The bottom line: Apple have updated the lineup before in this timeframe (Sept - Jan) and they could easily do so again.

The Intel transition was announced at WWDC 2005, so no it wasn't a secret they would be upgrading to this (and I never said it was, so fail to see the relevance of this point at all). That didn't stop them releasing a new G5 model in September knowing full well they would likely launch the Intel iMac in January.

At this point, I think it would be best to wait and see unless you need the system now.

David

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Even with the Penryn chips, I don't expect to see a significant speed increase over the existing iMacs. Not enough to make me regret purchase the current iMac.

14. taff007 macrumors newbie

I think the question you need to ask (and this has been discussed many times on these forums), is when are you going to stop waiting for the next update? You've already been waiting for a year so do you wait for another year until Intel bring out the next chip? There is always something new around the corner that you will want - next chip update, next HD update, next OS?

The problem with Apple computers is they are so easily defined - The are 4 basic models of the imac based on 2 screen sizes, and 3 basic models of macbook based around 2 speeds of chip etc. When buying a PC there are so many similar options with tiny differences that it is nearly impossible to compare like with like, and even harder to notice when the spec has improved. Therefore with Apple it is extremely easy (and obvious) to have the most current spec one day, and last years stock the next.

I was in the same position as you last year. I decided to wait and continue struggling with a 6 year old Dell until Leopard came out. When it was delayed I decided to go for it and I purchased a refurb macbook. OK it's not the most up-to-date spec now but it does everything I need, and is without doubt is the best computer I've ever owned. I really wish I'd bought it last year when I started looking.

And there's a cracking interest free deal on Apple Stores at the moment in the UK until 14th January (Hang on, that's 1 day before MWSF. What are Apple planning. Perhaps I'll wait before I buy that iMac I've been drooling over!)