iMac update speculation; worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nachoman, Apr 13, 2008.

1. nachoman macrumors newbie

I recently spent spring break back home where my dad had purchased a 24" iMac. I've been dreaming of getting one ever since. From the forums and buyer's guide it appears we are on the brink of updates for the mini and iMac.

I know about the 'slightly' increased performance and the reduced power requirements that come with the penryn processor. But what other enhancements could/should be expected? Newer graphics card? Different styling of the unit itself? I've read rumors of Blu-ray (which I actually couldn't care less about...). I'd like to purchase one now, but I'd also like to get the most bang for my buck. So other than slightly improved processor performance, is there anything else I *might* look forward to?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No Blu-ray, no redesign...

Faster processors and (maybe) faster graphics are all that you have to look forward to.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since the MacBook Pros seem to be the leader in getting new tech, it is doubtful the iMac will leapfrog those machines with the chips that matter in the chipset (a new wireless or fw chip newer than the MacBooks maybe, a chipset newer than the MacBooks unlikely.)

So expect nothing more than new CPUs, GPUs, and updates in specs for HD/RAM/etc. right now.

Of course they could fool you with an updated keyboard and mouse to make you slam your head repeatedly into the desk wondering why you didn't wait...

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

if you can hold off for a while then do so, just so you have the latest and greatest. if you want or need it now, just get it and enjoy your machine while others are sitting and waiting!

5. adrianr macrumors member

I'de get one now whilst they've got the H-IPS panel.. Apple may decide they're not making enough money and downgrade it to a TN. :rolleyes:

6. nachoman thread starter macrumors newbie

H-IPS & TN? Will that really make a difference? I guess I don't know the difference...

Would the GPU upgrade be substantial? Photoshop & final cut are at the top of applications to use...

7. adrianr macrumors member

H-IPS is essentially the superior technology. It has better viewing angles (Much better - Especially on 24" where it becomes far too evident), better colour reproduction, better black depth, pretty much better everything. If you would be working on anything that required any kinda of colour accuracy H-IPS would be hugely beneficial. TN is just cheaper.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Likely nothing more than a drop in replacement, a clock change, or a RAM change.

The substantial ones will be the next change when Apple puts the biggest, baddest notebook GPU that runs the coolest and draws the least in the notebook -- and then gives the other notebook GPU to the iMac.

Still expect Apple to keep 2 GPU vendors with a desktop and portable splitting their market.

9. jonswan macrumors regular

Probably worth waiting, though I don't suppose the jump will be much - but why not get the extra if it doesn't cost you any more. Mind you, I have the basic 20 inch iMac + put 3GBs of RAM in it and couldn't wish for more, so if you need it now then maybe go for it. Rumors has gone quiet on this one and it is a bit of a puzzle why they haven't updated yet.

10. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I did the same. I liked the 24", but the 20" met our needs. Bought 3GB of RAM from Kingston [$150] and I'm happy. Waiting for the Macbook updates, and as soon as they're out I'll take a peek.

11. henchosbandito macrumors member

i reckon the new iMacs will all come with 2gb RAM - mainly because Apple are making their laptops so well. Seems like they are going to have to do something like that, along with new processor (which will probably give little more than negligable speed improvements) maybe a new graphics card as well so the iMacs still look worth buying. I can see it getting to a point where the MBP will outperform the iMac, with the major advantage of it being protable

thats what i think anyways :rolleyes: