Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'iMac' started by gr81mgbgt, Aug 16, 2009.
Looking to buy, what do you recommend?
Early 2010 is my guess, Arrandale comes then. Buy it now if you need it now, but wait if you don't and need more power
There is a chance there might be a slim update or price drop this fall, but likely the update will be in early 2010.
As suggested, if you can wait it will be worth it. If you need a machine, the current lineup is great.
How many of these threads will there be?
Until the next iMac update.
LOL. Probably. They started like right after the Early '09 update, and apparently will never end.
Right after the next iMac update, threads like "Should I buy an iMac now or wait" will pop up once again.
That's why this is called MacRumors
If you are looking to buy, you could just wait until they get updated. I'd say nothing until the new year.
That will be odd though, Apple not updating any of the Mac product line until next year?
I think it isn't odd. Intel is launching new mobile CPUs (Arrandale) in early 2010, so update before that would be minor. Only update I can see is 17" MBP which was left out in June (3.06 option, SD slot). Clarksfield CPUs and NVIDIA 200M series...
I think you need to wait at least 3 years before anything worthwhile is worth updating too.
they are computers they will get updated often you can never have the newest one. it's waiting game that can never be won. unless you are-pushing your machine will a slight increase really make you happier?
If Apple had a section on their site that said something like "plans for next update" - no timelines or anything - just features - then if you really wanted that feature you would wait - if not - you would buy!
This level of secrecy in modern life freaks me out a little
Basically, we know what the features are but we don't know when they are coming. We know that Blu-Ray is coming but when. 2010? 2015? Nobody knows. Same thing with other components.
Arrandale was originally slated for Q4 '09, but will now probably be released at CES in January 2010. Apple has gotten early shipments of some of Intel's recent offerings, so it's possible we'll see an iMac with Arrandale not long after that. It'd be nice to see the schedule move ahead by a month or so, but I don't think that's going to happen. (I'd like to be surprised, though.)
Another possibility is that Apple may choose to use a desktop processor in the iMac, but that would be a significant departure for them and would require a lot more cooling.
LOL. Very good point.
Can someone update me as to where Arrandale is listed as 2010 release? - My searching (beyond wikipedia of course ) - lead to crappy sites listing Q4 09 - and the intel site made my head hurt ...
Don't suppose someone could update me with a better source - i'll be a nice person
Also what's stopping the use of Intel® Core™2 Extreme to open up Quadcores?
It just freaks me out that Apple would release a multi-core central OS and no mass-market products to support it (they said themselves dual-core was already sussed so that doesn't count )
( well aware this is probably answered but to hell am i searching the 1000's of - i want xxxx in the same posts )
edit: - also by wading through intel's site - it looks like arrandale is only 2 cores (4 threads) - thats no fun
( I'm guessing heat ... but that sounds like a cop-out excuse )
Im just bored of mr.PC keeping on at me about his massive multi-core penis
Here you go: Arrandale release.
Hopefully Microsoft runs some desktop hunter ads and Apple is forced to knock $500 off the mirror computer and maybe even, gasp, offer it with a matte option.
Ready to buy
I'll buy now, rather than wait til 2010. It sounds like Apple wont come out with the next one a month after I bought my last iMac white Intel. I guess I even get a ipod touch free.