iMac update to effect MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badbradderz, Oct 1, 2009.

1. badbradderz macrumors regular

Hi all, first time poster here.

I've been considering buying a MBP for a while now but have ultimately decided to wait until the next refresh, which i presume will be in time for christmas or very early 2010?

Reason being I was bought a 24" iMac for my birthday in August and am obviously about to be slightly stung by the updated version of the all in one being released a mere 2 months or so later, so decided to wait till the next MBP update before buying my first notebook to maximize its longevity (hopefully).

My question though is, as MBP and iMac specs are currently relatively similar and both are considered the slightly more high end "everyday consumer option" (low end being MacBook and Mac Mini)...Could the spec of the updated iMac be all but the same as the new MBP when they are released? i know we as consumers can never "know" but it could be logical to assume if iMac's get quad core and blu-ray then MBP could be in for similar treatment.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The next refresh for the MBP should hopefully be for the clarksfield/arrandale chipset. That being the case, I doubt we'll see any refresh until 2010 (when in 2010 is anyone's guess)

I'm not sure why you were "stung" by apple the MBP line when you said you purchased an iMac - two different computers meeting two different needs. Regardless apple updates its lines continually and I'd not worry about the iMac line if you're interested in the MBP.

3. badbradderz thread starter macrumors regular

i was stung because i got an iMac in August and seemingly if id waited 2 months or so i could have got a better iMac for a similar price.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

2 months later and apple is still selling the same iMac that you have - I wouldn't call that being stung. Besides, apple and ever other computer manufacturer always has a faster "better" computer around the corner. I'd not get too worked about that fact and enjoy what you do have. Just because apple comes out with a new iMac, doesn't mean your iMac is any less productive or useful.

5. badbradderz thread starter macrumors regular

look don't get me wrong, i love my iMac to bits, does everything i need it to, and at a speed i'm more than happy with...i'm simply pointing out that had I known a couple month wait would get me something potentially even better for the same price, then who wouldn't want that? doesn't mean i'm not very happy with what i have.

as for the MBP i'm simply saying that I think i'll wait till a refresh comes out, as its mid cycle and i'm in no rush, largely down to the fact i have a new iMac...so i'll wait and see how many advances there are in MBP 2010.