imac update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim100, Jul 17, 2009.

?

will imac update will include led lcd?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. no

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. tim100 macrumors 65816

Do you think that the rumored update to the imac line this august/sept will include a led screen or just a price drop and speed bump. I am looking at getting my wife a 24 inch imac. Also anyone pick an imac over a macbook pro?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

First, no update in Aug/Sep because new hardware doesn't exist. Secondly, 24" LED panels are too expensive so it wouldn't cut the price, just make it higher. Oct/Now is possible if Arrandales are on time. Apple has to update iMacs CPUs, they have been the same since April 2008.

I chose iMac over laptop because my PC laptop was sitting on my desk 95% of it's time. Just get one now, waiting game is endless and usually disappointing. Current 24" is amazing and unless you're professional editor or something, it'll have enough power for you

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Sounds like something Tallest Skil said...

I think if there is an update, the case will be changed. It's been the same essential design since MacWorld '05.

No LED screens. Maybe as an option or on the highest-end model.

4. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Eh. I'm leaning towards a yes on this one; not only is it good hype/dollar, it also reduces power draw as far as I know.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So what? He's usually right. Okay, Apple can use existing quad-core CPUs but they didn't in March, so I can't see them doing it now. Also, there has been only one update every year since '06 and last four updates have been ~10 months after last one.

Yes it does but is it needed in desktops really? LEDs are perfect for laptops because battery life will be longer. I think Apple isn't going to use them yet, maybe when they are cheaper and economy is better

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hang on, now. The release date for Clarksfield is September or October (according to Wikipedia). I didn't see that until very recently.

So... IF and only IF Apple uses Clarksfield in the first Nehalem iMacs (I do not believe this. I believe that they will use Arrandale), we COULD... mmmereaurghmmm... COULD. See them in September.

Of course, they would be released after the Back To School promo ended, but before Snow Leopard came out, so that's a little bit too short of a timeframe.

Oh, and with iPods being released in September in that same timeframe, the chances of a new iMac then are slim to nonexistent.

Of course, again, I don't believe they'll use Clarksfield because of the clock speed sacrifice. No consumer cares that it is quad core; they won't buy it because the clock speed sucks (Megahertz Myth), and they would be RIGHT to do so, since VERY few consumer apps would even use all four cores. More than half of those apps would run more slowly on the new than the old.

7. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Sure was…

AppleInsider says an update "by fall."

New CPUs don't exist, but it's possible we could see "special" 45/55 W Penryn CPUs at up to 3.2~3.33 GHz (maybe faster FSB too?), just like what happened in April 2008 before Montevina and its corresponding CPU updates. Plus we can see a price drop (rumored) and better GPUs.

I'm not holding my breath for quad-core (not until 2011).

We did see updated iMacs in September 2006 a week before the iPod update.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Did we? I didn't remember that. Heck, that's when we bought ours... :p

Was that after the Back To School update had ended?

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It was 10 days before (update on September 6, end of BTS on September 16)

10. thatdarnfish macrumors regular

As others have said, it seems to me that if Apple changes the form factor of the iMac, that could potentially open up a lot of possibilities vis-à-vis CPU's. It has certainly been a while since the design of the iMac has changed.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Weird, but I guess that I do remember the provision added excluding those models, so we'll have to see.

Any update will come down to whether they choose Clarksfield or Arrandale.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

That's true.

Or Penryn.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I can't see few hundred megahertz faster Penryns used in iMacs. 3.33GHz Penryn wouldn't offer big performance boost unless FSB is significantly faster.

14. ag55 macrumors regular

I hate trying to buy a Mac, this will be my first iMac and i just cant decide.

I thought i was going for it this summer with the education discount and free iPod, but now rumours from Apple Insider of a Fall 09 refresh have come to my attention. Apparently apple are going to take note of the recession. Im planning on buying the top-spec iMac and a price slash would be great for me.

But if i wait until end of 2009, i just feel like another 6 months until summer 2010 when the new updates come in.

Do you think the education discount now (and free iPod) deal, will be greater than the suspected price cut/refresh in late 2009.

15. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

If you need it now, get it now. If you don't need it now, wait I guess.

16. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Rumors are just rumors... Last time there were dozens of rumors for 6 months saying that new iMac is coming next Tuesday, but it didn't. Update in late '09 is possible if Arrandales are on time (Clarksfield would just make the price higher, not lower).

As Kraft said, buy it now if you need it. With edu discount and free iPod, iMac is quite cheap actually. Sell the iPod for even cheaper