iMac upgrade coming soon?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pete the Meat, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Pete the Meat macrumors newbie

    Jan 17, 2007
    Has anyone heard whether Apple are planning to upgrade the components of their current range of iMacs anytime soon? I am planning on buying an iMac and have been looking at the specs of the models on offer and although they are very good, I couldn't help but think there was definately room for improvement. For example there are quicker Core 2 Duo chips available, quicker DVD burners and PCI Express 2.0 was released yesterday and as the graphics card uses PCI Express, surely Apple would want to use this faster connection, even though I am aware that Intel havent released a chipset yet for PCI Express 2 as of yet.
  2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

    Compile 'em all

    Apr 6, 2005
    There is no rumors of anything "soon". If by soon you mean 6 months, then yes. Other than that, don't expect hardware upgrades this month. May be in Feb...may be.
  3. rema macrumors regular

    Sep 16, 2006
  4. damien341 macrumors member

    Dec 3, 2006
    lower saxony, germany
    no events, but apple could do a silent upgrade or just a spontaneous press conference. that isn't the problem in this case.
  5. thegrifman macrumors regular

    Nov 8, 2006
    Kennesaw, GA
    I was doing some research last month and came to my own conclusion that Apple may update the iMac in or around April. ATI is set to release a new mobile graphics chipset in April and Intel is set to release new processors. Those 2 items along with the "Spring 2007" (read around April) release of Leopard leads me to believe that a big iMac update may be coming. Because of that I'm holding out until then to see what happens. Having never owned a mac and just recently getting interested I don't know what Apples history is in terms of updating hardware so I could be way off the mark. None the less, I'm waiting for Leopard before I buy mine.

    Edit: Apparently Penryn has been delayed by Intel according to a post I just read here and Wikipedia. Oh well, I'll still get mine when Leopard comes out.
  6. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

    Jan 18, 2007
    I think this all sounds a true possibility. Penryn chips aren't ready until next year however Santa Rosa chips are available in April/May/June. PCI Express 2.0 would be an advantage. If Intel release a new chipset with the processor release that is capable of PCI Express 2 then that would be a great development. As well as Leopard being released and iLife being updated all due for the same time, I feel Apple will be selling iMacs by the bucket loadif all this came to fruitition. Is anyone else in agreement?
  7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    Merom = processor codename
    Santa Rosa = Centrino chipset codename
    Penryn = processor codename

    Get it right...

    PCI-Expres 2.0 = Q2 2007 on Bearlake

Share This Page