Imac upgrade help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ollywoood88, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Ollywoood88 macrumors newbie

Hi all

First post here need some help. I wanted to upgrade my imac.

I'm from the UK and looking at top spec 27 inch for video editing.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/imac?product=ME089B/A&step=config

Wanted to discuss what I would need or any upgrades. Going to buy the ram from crucial and the SuperDrive I will get off eBay.

Few questions should I upgrade the processor? Also can somebody talk to me about the drives? Fusion, flash storage etc.

Also I have a friend who us a lecturer can I get discount through him?

Many thanks

2. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

Getting third party memory is a good idea. I suggest going to the full capacity of 32 GB at the start. Sooner or later, due to inevitable software bloat you will need it. In the meanwhile, a loaded RAM machine will page less which will make the experience faster and put less wear on the disk drive. The less wear on the drive means more time until the drive fails and so will delay a repair which will be either costly or awkward.

Likewise, use an overestimate of your storage needs when selecting disk storage. In some cases, an minimal internal drive when coupled with easily expanded external storage is the best idea. But if your storage needs are modest, then the stock 1 TB drive might be best. Making it a Fusion drive will cost more, but this could pay off with less wear on the hard drive and somewhat faster overall operation.

The current high end iMac is detailed here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-i7-3.5-27-inch-aluminum-late-2013-specs.html

If I were to buy yet another iMac, this is the model I'd get (which includes the US$200 Core i7 CPU upgrade). Another US$400 will get 32 GB RAM, and some more cash will buy some T-bolt attached external storage. It will be more expensive than a quad core Mac Pro, but it will also crank faster plus it has a nice monitor.

You might want to spend the extra US$150 for the better graphics with 4 GB video RAM; but first your should look at whatever benchmarks are available to see if it will be worth it for your applications. For me, the answer is no.

This model has an LGA 1155 CPU socket, so the CPU can be upgraded. But, remember that the machine is already running close to thermal limits and the next super duper CPU which might fit in the socket could generate more heat than can be dispersed.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a