imac upgrade possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by matt3224, Mar 16, 2009.

1. matt3224 macrumors member

Would it be possible to replace the graphics card and logic board including ram from the 2009 3.06ghz imac to the late 2008 3.06ghz imac as an upgrade as i would imagine that the shape inside the new imac would be the same as the late 2008 imac. please don't steer away from the answer im looking for.

http://imattic.co.uk

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Gonna give you a resounding "Maybe."

There are other things to take into consideration... such as the fact that you won't be able to use any of the ports in the back.

3. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

How come?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because the new logic board has ports in different places than the back cover of the 2008 iMac. You couldn't put the thing together without cutting off the part of the back cover with the port holes.

5. matt3224 thread starter macrumors member

but what if you bought the new back bit and kept everything else? i am pretty sure it would work.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Cheaper to sell the machine and buy the new one, especially with all the parts you would need to buy adding up nearly likely 2-3 times more than the cost of trading up on machines.

7. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm really interested that you would want to replace the internals and back of an iMac for no apparent reason. Unless you have an 09 iMac and just smashed the screen?