Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I am not going to try to upgrade my 27 iMac later, but would take it to apple store. What upgrades can be added later?what up grades must be done when purchasing? What is most important upgrades for future proofing the iMac

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Depends if you're getting the 21.5" or the 27".

But most important upgrade would probably be GFX for future-proofing it.
After that it'll be the CPU(but for most people, the default CPU will be more than enough so this upgrade really isn't recommended unless you're doing some processor-intensive tasks).

Harddrive/Fusion/SSD can always be added externally later.
RAM can easily be added later as well with the 27". If you have the 21.5" it can be added later but it is much more difficult.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
So I can install ram later. Will a high end 27 iMac with i7 , 680 graphics and 1 tb fusion be good in 5-7 years or should I o ahead and add 16 gb ram. If so this machine wil be close to 3000

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
So I can install ram later. Will a high end 27 iMac with i7 , 680 graphics and 1 tb fusion be good in 5-7 years or should I o ahead and add 16 gb ram. If so this machine wil be close to 3000

Get the high end 27" with the GTX 680MX. No need for the CPU nor the RAM upgrades. If you really want Apple's Fusion Drive, then you should add that too when ordering your iMac(although it will be cheaper and you'll get better performance if you create your own Fusion Drive).

Honestly there is a marginal difference between the i5 and i7 for 90% of the people. If you're not sure, you probably won't need the i7. The RAM you can install later so get the stock 8GB and add more later if you notice that you need it.

sounddesigner

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2012

I would go with out the ram since u can upgrade it to 32GB for that price by yourself. My opinion about hardrive you should and video card you should just pay apple to do it because I would not want to pry open a brand new machine to upgrade stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.