iMac upgrades

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jc244, Oct 11, 2012.

1. jc244 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody. I was considering buying an iMac 27" and was seeking some information about some upgrades.

Is the RAM upgrade a standard upgrade? Just open up the system and put in the new RAM?

I'm aware there are some kits that will help you put a second drive, but is the original hard drive also replaceable? Did the iMac have a removable optical device? Is there an option to add even a third drive?

In the future, will I be able to upgrade my processor quite simply?

Thanks.

2. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

Yep, all iMacs come standard with 2 x 2GB RAM with space for another two sticks. These are easily upgraded by removing a small cover at the bottom of the iMac. It's also the only upgrade that doesn't involve removing the front glass and display. Maximum RAM is 32GB, 4 x 8GB sticks.

The original HDD is replaceable but there are issues with the temperature sensor not working causing the fans to run at 100%. There are ways to get around this though.

All iMacs have space for a 3.5" HDD and a 2.5" HDD (usually SSD, you will have to buy connections for this if you didn't get an SSD from factory)

And yes the optical drive can then be removed to put in a third HDD.

I could be wrong, but I believe the highest processor you can install in the iMac is the 3.5Ghz I7-2700K.

RAM is considered the only user serviceable part in iMacs, but if you're willing to dig around inside most components can be upgraded somewhat.

3. jc244 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi. Thanks for the reply, I appreciated your detailed answers.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

5. GR33NIE macrumors 6502

I'd go down the SSD route if you are looking @ a new drive and then buy some additional external storage. Meant to be a fantastic upgrade :)

6. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

No problem mate, glad I could help out :)

7. kennyap macrumors regular

This is the highest processor without encountering major problems; I installed one of these and couldn't be happier, the only drawback is the inability to install Mountain Lion, which is not supported (yet).